Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Cricket Lovely Cricket

Is there a standard to which cricket pitches are laid out (length, width, distance between creases/wickets etc)

Thanks

Default Re: Cricket Lovely Cricket

Unhappy Re: Cricket Lovely Cricket

Thanks user.

I had alrady Googled but obviously not with the search skills which you demonstrated

V...

That's OK.
    Cricket pitch dimensions
    3rd or 4th hit...
    Just try other keyword combinations.
    Cheers.

Mixed Member

Sorry Valerie but the title drew me in the hope I'd learn just what it is about cricket that interests people. I just don't get it.

Spending 5 days (used to be 8) for a draw. Why? Blokes standing around in the sun while two of them battle over a ball, which is often just pushed aside and no runs scored. Even the fast games take a whole day. And if you look away for an instant you'll miss the one big hit or dismissal of the day.

By comparison, rugby, soccer, tennis etc is done and dusted in a couple of hours.

Please don't misunderstand. I've been surrounded by good cricket players in adult life, and their ability is admirable. Good sportsmen and decent people. And lying on grass watching a game on a sunny afternoon is enjoyable. But a minor sport surely?

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Quiz: What is the connection between the title of this thread and Ramadhin and Valentine?
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

Talking Re: Cricket Lovely Cricket

Thanks guys.

I don't actually play the game but am fascinated by one-day matches. It's one game at which Bangladesh and England have recently whacked the Aussies.

Ramadhin & Valentine - I can just hear the reggae beat!

If you love cricket then there is only one cricket site : www.cricinfo.com - at the top left is a live scorecard option - great for when games are not on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Porritt
    Quiz: What is the connection between the title of this thread and Ramadhin and Valentine?
    Lord Beginner (alias Egbert Moore) sang in his calypso entitled “Victory Test Match” (England vs WI, Lords, 1950): “Cricket, lovely cricket, and those two little pals o’ mine, Ramadhin and Valentine”.

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peterj116
    Lord Beginner (alias Egbert Moore) sang in his calypso entitled “Victory Test Match” (England vs WI, Lords, 1950): “Cricket, lovely cricket, and those two little pals o’ mine, Ramadhin and Valentine”.
    That's it, Peter

1950, what a year that was.

After WWII, during the late 1940s, West Indians flooded into Britain, such that by 1950 they were there in large numbers and brought colour and gaiety, song and dance not seen before. There was also a darker side of racial tensions and housing problems.

The West Indies thrashed England at Lords, and the West Indian crowd went wild! Nothing like it had ever been seen before in such a hallowed ground.
    The red-faced, bulbous nosed, ex-army type Colonel Blimps spluttered and harumphed, it's not British, it's not cricket to behave like that!

West Indians everywhere all over the country, partied, calypsoed, and generally had a good time.

We had no television set then to watch live cricket, but cinemas showed newsreels, like Pathe and Gaumont British, and there were also newstheatres that showed nothing but news and cartoons. So it was that those who didn't go to Lords could see highlights of the match some days later.

"Cricket, lovely cricket, it was at Lords where I saw it.........
    ...and those little pals of mine Ramadhin and Valentine."

A calypso tune that swept the country.

Steel bands were also popular. The ends of 44 gallon oil drums were panel beaten into shapes very cunningly so that when struck produced a chromatic scale of 'boings'.

cricket lovely cricket

http://www.caribbeancricket.com/modu...ticle&sid=1391

http://www.meppublishers.com/online/...1&id=cb71-2-82
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"