Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD writing

Cruising Member

Unhappy CD writing

This may be a dumb question, most likely is, but when I am burning to cd, like backing up photos, I go to the folder, tell it to burn to cd, carry on telling it until I have want I want, then click the balloon, and say burn. Then next week I add more stuff to the cd, then after that it tells me the cd is full, even if it only has 5 mb on it. I run Xp, and am using the Xp way of doing it, ie: right click, send to cd, but surely, using "record now" will do the same thing. Any ideas. TIA

The first time it did it, I thought oh well, it is me, I must of somehow told it to close the cd, but next time, I realised it doesn't ask.

Default Re: CD writing

I presume you are using the default burner in XP?
    You need to find a burner that allows you to do multi-session discs.
    I would recommend Ahead Nero, but its not free unfortunately
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

The native XP burner does not allow multisession.
    The reliability of CD's is nowhere near as good as a hard drive, and when adding a second session or subesquent sessions using multisession software, all the file allocation pointers to the first(s) set of data is permanently deleted and a new one is written, which includes the references to the new data.

This operation relies critically on never getting a simple bit error (which matters little on an image file) in the file allocation table, as it will effectively eliminate all the images on the disk (unless complex data retieval is used.)

If the images are important, burn once only to CD-R and verify the files are the same.
    If the images are very important burn to two CD-R disks and verify.

If the images are of little importance and it doesnt really matter if they survive, use a CD-RW disk. or multisession. They are the most uinreliable.

Edit: when I said burner I actually meant CD burning software.
    Hope this didn't confuse you
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Cruising Member

Mythix, no you didn't confuse me, as I used to have Nero on my old puter, so knew what you were talking about.

Thanks again Godfather for your imput, and yes, I was using the default program, so guess I should look at my Nero cd to see if it is compatable with this puter, or failing that, check RecordNow which is in this puter, and all else fails, just have to think of something else. Yes, they are important, as I keep all my photos on cd now, rather than getting them printed. I have so many photoalbums, that I thought a cd was an easier idea.

Oh well, next time I back up, guess I will just have to do a back up to fill the cd each time.

If you insist on multisession, then do please heed the warnings of risk of loss. All CDs have a significant error rate compared to a hard drive.

I have a simple remedy, if I need to back up a few more images, then I do so to a new CD-R, and fill it up at the same time with existing images even if they have already been backed up.

That way I eventually end up with multiple copies of every image. If I need something in-between, I will use a USB memory key for intermediate storage of a second copy.

I have just seen too much sadness and angst from others at lost data with multisession, and even more with CD-RW use. At only ~50 cents for a CD-R its just not worth the risk.

I have lost the occasional CD-R to corruption, but with multiple copies its not a problem now. One copy is kept off-site for critical data.

Cruising Member

Thanks again Godfather, and yes, I did heed your warnings, and usually when I do a back up it goes to about the cds', as all our family ones go online to yahoo photos, 3 cd;s, mine, and two daughters, and also quite a few to photobucket. It was the only way I thought that if the hard drive crashed, at least I had back ups of the photos.

Hi supergran....You could try the free download at the link below. It has worked well for me and seems to close the disk at each shutdown (so that the disk will play on any cd player) then open the disk again for the next burning session,
    and pretty well all by default.

You can also finalise the disk at any stage once you have learned some of the options, then they are closed for keeps.

For anything really special tho' I would make backups on several disks and to heck with the expence. Cheers Ken.

Oh dear.....here's the link

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php Ken

CD burner XP is quite good as far as the free burning programs go, but its still not in the same league as Nero. I used it for quite a while when I got my DVD burner because it didn't come with a copy of nero (I assumed all CD/DVD burners came with nero), but I kept finding little things I didn't like about it so ended up getting a new copy of nero. Too bad the copy of nero I got with my old CD burner was locked to that specific drive.