Default Ram. Which Brand?

Could someone tell me what is the difference between ordinary ,no name, ram at about $150 for 2 X 512 megs. and say Corsair at about $600 for 2 x 512.
    What difference will I notice in my comps. performance. Will it do anything to improve graphics???

At present I have 2 x 512 "Rambo". There's nothing obviously wrong with it, but it is about the only part of my computer that has not been changed in the past two years. And I am not happy with current performance.
    Jack GOF.

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Default Re: Ram. Which Brand?

AFAIK it more about reliability than performance as such. There is probably a greater tendency for generic ram to have faults which may not be such as to prevent the system working, but could cause trouble in memory intensive applications.
    If running Memtest shows no faults, then there wouldn't seem to be much point in changing what you have.
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

if your graphics are 'onboard' the better ram MAY improve the graphics a *little* but not much.......you may have a lower cas rating on the better ram, say: 2.5 instead of 3.0 and that'll make the ram responses faster thus slightly faster graphics.......but if you have a graphics card.....agp/pci whatever then better ram is unlikely to make any appreciable difference..........and for the cost difference be better off getting a flash graphics card....
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by drcspy
    if your graphics are 'onboard' the better ram MAY improve the graphics a *little* but not much.......you may have a lower cas rating on the better ram, say: 2.5 instead of 3.0 and that'll make the ram responses faster thus slightly faster graphics.......but if you have a graphics card.....agp/pci whatever then better ram is unlikely to make any appreciable difference..........and for the cost difference be better off getting a flash graphics card....
    I already have a Raedon 9800 pro. It is not performing.
    Jack GOF.

You managed 7000 points on 3d mark, not only does that mean your card is performing, But that your entire computer is performing very well.

Lower cas ram means nothing unless your tweaking with the ram settings in the bios, and even if you were doing so the real world results would be nil.
    better Dredd then dead

Quote Originally Posted by Metla
    You managed 7000 points on 3d mark, not only does that mean your card is performing, But that your entire computer is performing very well.

Lower cas ram means nothing unless your tweaking with the ram settings in the bios, and even if you were doing so the real world results would be nil.
    Yes I know, but now I have all my software installed I can not get over 4500.
    And I have completely removed NAV and it made absolutely no difference.
    Jack GOF.

Can you tell us how many entries you have in your startup?

And if you go msconfig and click the services TAB and then hide alll the MS ones you will probally see a half dozen norton services still running.
    better Dredd then dead

Quote Originally Posted by Metla
    Can you tell us how many entries you have in your startup?

And if you go msconfig and click the services TAB and then hide alll the MS ones you will probally see a half dozen norton services still running.
    Start Up: 7 MS, 1 Ati, 1 Keyboard , 1 MS Office . Total 10

Services: 2 Ati only. No Norton !!

When I uninstall something , everything goes.
    Jack GOF.

7 MS entries in the startup?

Can you elaborate on those?,or post a screenshot?

The Office one can be safely killed off, it serves no purpose but to use resources (but not enough to impact performance to the degree your getting)
    better Dredd then dead