Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Long time RTS Gamer

Default You have just been appointed "Prime Minister" of New Zealand ...

... What would be the first 3 things you would do ?

1) Flat Income Tax = 20% (Companies and individuals)
    2) Sales tax = 10% (All purchased goods and commercial services, except food, water, power, phone and government services (including rates))
    3) Every $1 contributed to a Pension scheme (locked in until 55), etc. earns $1 less tax per year.
    You have no secrets on the internet.
    Be careful and vigilant. The internet should be considered like roads, avoiding an incident is better than trying to survive one.

Default Re: You have just been appointed "Prime Minister" of New Zealand ...

Build a wall around Auckland with a bridge leading to Northland, Send out squads of crack attack units cleaning the dirtbags from every town and city....then throw them over the wall into Auckland.Invade the South Island, Blow up parliment, Steal billions of taxpayers dollars and hightail it to Brazil.
    better Dredd then dead

And immediately the country is devoid of all health, education and welfare service?

Where are you going to get the required money from to provide all essential services and benefits?

Please supply your analysis to support such radical changes?

What happens to GST, is that replaced by your sales tax?

asdfasdf

Flee.

Long time RTS Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    And immediately the country is devoid of all health, education and welfare service?
    Every individual is responsible for their own Health, Education and Welfare. i.e. you can buy insurance for these.

Note, there is a 20%+ taxtake to cover what I consider essentially services.

Policing, Justice, Military Foreign Affairs, Parliament, etc.

i.e. I prefer that individuals pay for only the services they use.

I don't use education, why should I pay
    I have good health, why should I pay, (I can insure for this, if I want)
    Why do I need welfare, I can save a % to have a buffer, between jobs.

People need to be responsible for their own affairs and not have them dictated to. People can save for their retirement as I said.

This may take some time to implement, and "ween" people of the "nanny-state" apron strings.
    Be careful and vigilant. The internet should be considered like roads, avoiding an incident is better than trying to survive one.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiTT_NZ
    Every individual is responsible for their own Health, Education and Welfare. i.e. you can buy insurance for these.

Note, there is a 20%+ taxtake to cover what I consider essentially services.

Policing, Justice, Military Foreign Affairs, Parliament, etc.

i.e. I prefer that individuals pay for only the services they use.

I don't use education, why should I pay
    I have good health, why should I pay, (I can insure for this, if I want)
    Why do I need welfare, I can save a % to have a buffer, between jobs.

People need to be responsible for their own affairs and not have them dictated to. People can save for their retirement as I said.

This may take some time to implement, and "ween" people of the "nanny-state" apron strings.
    It's not up to you to say what the "essential" services are. Some people don't require police assistance, so why categorise that as "essential" as opposed to education or health.

Some countries have proved that investment in education improves the economy hugely!

If every individual is responsible for every service that government offers, why don't you employ your own armed security guards.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Long time RTS Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    Some countries have proved that investment in education improves the economy hugely!
    I fail to see where the $250+ Mil sent a badly managed education institution is value for money in that investment. Not to mention International "Hip-Hop" tours.

If every individual is responsible for every service that government offers, why don't you employ your own armed security guards.
    It maybe safer than waiting for the taxi to arrive on the "111" service. (NOTE:I did not say every service)

However, I did set aside 20% for essential services. The Parliament can decide, what they are based on the funds they have available.

We need to get away from the "nanny-state" and expect the government to do everything. Individuals should be more responsible.
    Last edited by KiwiTT_NZ; 03-06-2005 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiTT_NZ
    We need to get away from the "nanny-state" and expect the government to do everything.
    I really disagree with that - just my opinion of course. But I'm proud to pay taxes that go toward social welfare.

Although here's an interesting formula...

Everyone has to pay a fixed (or even scalable) amount of tax, which pays for essential services, then there's an additional amount of tax payable, but the individual determines where it gets spent on; eg Military, Medical, Welfare etc.

That scenario would really help shape the nation according to what the people want.
    Last edited by Greg; 03-06-2005 at 12:18 PM.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

As much as i dislike career benificiaries and rorts, Im right behind my taxes going towards education,welfare,health and all the rest that makes the nanny state.

I would gladly pay an extra 20 a week to garentee the local hospital is there when I need it,and that my family won't starve if I'm without an income for an extended.
    better Dredd then dead

Long time RTS Gamer

That scenario would really help shape the nation according to what the people want.
    Exactly.

If I want welfare, I'll pay insurance or use my savings (you do in Holland)
    If I want health cover, I can insure for it (as I do already)
    If I want an education in addition to the essential 3 Rs (Reading, wRiting and aRithmetic), I'll pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Metla
    I would gladly pay an extra 20 a week to garentee the local hospital is there when I need it,and that my family won't starve if I'm without an income for an extended.
    You can, by saving 20% of your income into a savings account. Imagine what you would have if you saved this amount in time. Assuming a $40,000 income and 5% interest, you will have $53,000+ and $143,000+ in 20 years.
    Last edited by KiwiTT_NZ; 03-06-2005 at 12:38 PM.