Thread: VPN Problems

Smile VPN Problems

Can anyone in the forum tell me where I can go to get a step by step setup for installing a VPN connection, using 2 x PC's running XP Pro, one with dsl and the other with dailup. I'm using a Dlink modem either, 302G or 504G for dsl. I've got 100's of pages of how to do it, but I'm missing something. It don't work
    Reading most of the data available it's supposed to be simple. I've done things like dropping my firewalls complelety, opening all ports, fixed IP, random IP, the lot, but no luck. I've set up both PC's using installed windows software setting up server and remote applications. I've had info from friends how they have done it (its all the same), but still no luck. Modems have be set up from info from Dlink with regards to NAT and DMZ. I'm sure I've got a box ticked(or not) somewhere.
    Any help is apprecaited
    regards
    Colin

Computer Tech

Default Re: VPN Problems

What software / hardware are you using as you VPN server?
    Are you using PPTP, L2TP or IPsec?

Smile Re: VPN Problems

Hi
    I'm using Windows XP Pro
    Dlink 302G adsl Modem and PPTP
    Cheers

Default Re: VPN Problems

Just to clarify , you're using the dial-up pc to establish a VPN with the broadband connected pc [ which has a static IP] and even with the hardware firewall and XP's firewall turned off the connection isn't being made ? Are you getting any error messages when the connection fails ?

Smile Re: VPN Problems

Hi
    Yes, the message I'm getting is a failure to connect. "Error 800: Unable to establish VPN connection, etc". This may be due to several things but I'm not sure (like I've tried the static IP address for my ADSL connection and the actual PC on my local LAN as the remote connection address) I've configured the ADSL modem and set the DMZ to my server PC. The ADSL modem works fine in normal mode (I'm listening to streaming radio right now) and my dialup from my laptop is OK (seperate line). I've tried all sorts of combinations. Rebooted modems with original setup and reconfigured, same with PC's. I thought it was supposed to be rather simple, but not, not!!
    Cheers
    Colin