I also have two computers;

1st pc
    an old p2-400mhz,
    32megs ram,
    2meg graphics card,
    two 4 gig hdds, fdd drive,
    44x cdrom, and a soundblaster live 5.1 card,
    monitor nicked from other pc.

both linux distros run fine on this pc although intolerably slow due to the lack of ram.

Main pc brought beginning 2003, cpu:amdxp1800,
    m/b:m825ulr (bios dated 8/12/2002) onboard: video(disabled), sound, usb & lan
    psu:250w,
    ram:256 sd 133mhz (yea I know it sux),
    hdd 30 gig(disabled) & 160gig ntfs running winxp on 1st partition (30gig)
    no fdd:
    cd: writer + dvd reader (separate drives)
    sound card: pci sb live 5.1
    graphics: nvidia geforse mx440se agp8x (also a lost cause)
    Monitor: DSE 17" res up to 1280x1024 @60hz
    modem: CNR slot HSP5kMR (came with m/b)

The problem is when I try to boot off the cd with either linux distro, (have tried both the cd writer and dvd drive) I can get to the boot screen of both distros but once the actual boot process starts and all the lines of code come up (about a screen full) The screen flashes blank, their is no further action from cd drive or hard drive, keyboard lights don't respond and I'm forced to reset (ctrl+alt+del doesn't work like it should).

I have tried numerous combinations of boot commands and have also tried failsafe mode on the ubuntu live cd. No luck. Only difference is if I boot from the ubuntu install cd the command screen will actually freeze (with everything still on screen) just before entering the install GUI

Anybody have any ideas how I might get linux working on my main pc?
    Thanks in advance
    -Jacob
    Last edited by J_Joyce; 18-05-2005 at 03:46 PM.

Pedant and proud of it

Default Re: Linux (ubuntu and knoppix) refuse to boot

I would try going down to the minimum level and trying a "knoppix text" boot, or the equivalent in the Ubuntu. The screen going blank indicates (to me anyway ) that it's trying to start up the X-server, and doesn't like the hardware.

The alternate terminals should work from an early point in the boot process, so try looking through the screens they have . (Ctrl/Alt/F2 ... F3 ... ). Ctrl/Alt/F7 should be the X-Window screen, but try until you get it. Errors are shown in one of those screens.

Thanks for the reply Graham L, I tried you suggestions but as far as I can tell the keyboard is locked up as well, I can't even get the caps and num lock keys to turn on or off (yep i tried both distros)

do you reckon I should post a copy of the frozen command screen off the install cd? (would mean draging the 400 upstairs, quite a problem sharing a monitor between two pc's

Pedant and proud of it

What is the last line on the booting screen when it dies? That's probably the last thing which worked. (That's Ubuntu, isn't it?).

Does it look as if it's identifying the hardsware correctly? Correct amount of memory, correct video board ...

My first reaction to your posting was : "32MB?, No way." I can understand that being slow. I'm amazed it works at all. It's a very old distribution I've got on a 386SX20 machine with 6MB of memory. And that does not have a GUI.

I get exactly the same issue with Ubuntu and have had intermittent results with Knoppix on an AMD 1800+, 512MB Ram, choose your HDD, Asus A7N266-VM (nForce 2) motherboard using 32MB of onboard video.

Graham is right, as far as my situation goes, it stalls on starting X-server in both graphical and text mode installations for the Knoppix and Ubuntu Live CD's. I've tried every option available for the Ubuntu install, they all stop at the same point with the result as you describe it.

Mepis, also a Debian based live CD with bit's borrowed from Knoppix, boots just fine without the hint of a hitch. I suspect the Mepis success is do to alteration or replacement of how Knoppix handle this part of the boot process, which surprises me because of Knoppix's supposed hardware detection and setup.

It should be noted that this machine has only managed to run successfully, Mepis, Yoper and Chill's experimental Gentoo CD. Next best was Mandrake 9.? which got to a command prompt then a compromised GUI (after making an additional special install CD), about 5 other distro's have been tried and failed, but most failed at initial boot error 28 IIRC. My point is it's probably hardware combo specific, but there is nothing strange in this machine, only near it. Nearly forgot, small footprint Live OS's like Insert, BG Rescue and EBCD have no such issues.

My advice, grab Mepis, it'll work.

yep, that's the ubuntu install cd. Last line of code before everything freezes is
    "ESR value before enabling vector: 00000002" far as I can tell the hardware detection looks fine.

Just to clarify I'm trying to get linux going on my main machine, it's already on the 400mhz, tho to get any decent response i have to steal the ram from the main comp

If I can't get it working, might just do what Murray P suggests and get a copy of mepis.
    hehe it'll take forever to download tho geez I hate 56 k
    -Jacob

Hmmm... *Cough* you would like a copy...perhaps?

Y'arrr

boot with the argument acpi=off
    There are no such things as ghosts, only clumsy ninjas.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja
    boot with the argument acpi=off
    You assume too much, incomplete answer for incompetents. How?

Finally found the bash prompt for grub, "Esc" key to escape the boot splash screen and menu and "c" for command prompt or "e" for edit. That would be handy if the escapae key worked in Ubuntu.

BTW, I found the acpi=off command ok, but all of the people writing about it just mentioned the boot command line as if it magically appeared. It seems that people providing Linux tutorials still have a long long way to go in communications skills and technical writing. oh well.
    Last edited by Murray P; 19-05-2005 at 02:15 AM.