Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Linux (Ubuntu) Query

Hi all, Earlier today I got around to installing Ubuntu (the copy that came with APC magazine last month I think) on my second hard drive.
    After swapping between O/Ss to get details on gaining internet access, I managed to get Ubuntu online using a Dynalink 1456 VQE serial external modem (using ttyS0 (COM1)).
    I did notice that when I went to open a webpage, it took forever to open (not just the first time either). Ok I know I have dialup, but is this usual?
    I have a network set up under Windows with 2 comps sharing the internet (and modem) so I know right now this wouldnt be viable under Linux.
    Without getting ADSL (which is in the future sometime) is there a setting I may have missed in Linux that will help with speed when browsing etc online?
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

morgenmuffel

Default Re: Linux (Ubuntu) Query

If you are using firefox (ubuntu default) then I think you need to turn off ip6 or 7 (can't remember exactly)

Going here will probably help, there are a couple of really good guides for tweaking and one of them (can't remember which) but it's there

right here for the ipv6 thing
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

Y'arrr

http://www.fs-security.com/

FireStarter - GUI firewall and Internet Connection Sharing tool for *nix
    There are no such things as ghosts, only clumsy ninjas.

I tried the IPv6 thing, seems to have sped it up a bit. Any other ideas.

On a side note, is it possible to transfer files from XP to Ubuntu? I tried to send my bookmarks to Ubuntu via floppy, and Ubuntu couldn't read it

Talking Re: Linux (Ubuntu) Query

Quote Originally Posted by Mythix
    ...........I did notice that when I went to open a webpage, it took forever to open .........
    Define "forever"

Quote Originally Posted by personthingy
    Define "forever"
    About 2 minutes plus

Ok, I must say Linux is a sharp learning curve (I think Jen prewarned me it would be).
    I still have these queries:
    I disabled IPv6 in Firefox, any other setting that will help with browser speed? (I know of the tweak for ADSL but I am on dialup),
    Anyone else using any distro of Linux with dialup - What distro do you use, and is your browsing speed slower than Windows?,
    Can Windows read a linux formatted floppy... is there a way to export/import bookmarks (or other files (i.e. .doc or .txt)) from Windows to Linux or vice versa? CD maybe?

I would like to eventually switch to Linux and have Windows as my second O/S
    Any help appreciated

is your windows partion mounted in Ubuntu, If so just browse to where the fav' are (doc'and settings\username\etc) and try coping them back to home drive in Ubuntu.
    Unfortunatlly linux will let you read windows file systems but windows does not reconise linux formatted file systems
    Last edited by beama; 16-05-2005 at 12:15 PM.
    Trust me. I know what I'm doing.Sledge Hammer

Linux the only way to get rid of the windows boot sector virus ( Geoff Palmer , Jun 28, 2004 Tips & Help : Tux Love, PCWorld NZ)

Parkinsons NZ

Pedant and proud of it

It's never worthwhile to make "Linux" floppies. Linux handles MSDOS FAT12 floppies with elegance and ease. It can even use DOS-like commands in command line mode. "mdir a:", "mcopy a:/*.*", etc.

man mtools will give you a full listing.

What file system is your Windows partition? If it is FAT32 then that is dead easy to access from Linux (you can read & write to it). NTFS is a little harder and I'm not sure how Ubuntu natively handles NTFS.

You can use a USB flashpen or a floppy to transfer your files. Just save the files to the floppy or USB pen as per normal from Windows and then access them from Ubuntu. Again, not sure how user friendly Ubuntu is with flashpens as some distro's will automatically mount them and place an icon on the desktop for you.

If you want a quick & dirty way of getting the files to your Linux partiton, then email them to yourself via hotmail/gmail/yahoo etc and then download them from Ubuntu