Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dlink 302G password required to access net

Due to inappropriate use of computer a friend is wanting to restrict usage via Dlink dsl-302g modem so password is required each time.
    I have been in and out of the configuration but not getting very far. What I am wanting is the connection box to appear when access to the net is required. When not required, the admin will be able to disconnect easily and no further access available until password entered again.

any ideas with this modem.

cheers

Default Re: Dlink 302G password required to access net

But since this is adsl you don't see a connection box so im not sure if you will be able to do what you were hoping unless there is some 3rd party program out there

Y'arrr

He'll either have to find a 3rd party software solution, or remove the connection password from the router each time.

That or take away the ethernet cable or something. Perhaps even just password protect the PC so only he can sign into it.

The router doesn't support it out of the box.

Sounds like the problem should probably be handled by talking to the offender rather than trying half-assed restrictions.
    There are no such things as ghosts, only clumsy ninjas.

I don't have this modem but I have set up a couple and as ninja says, you can only change or remove the password in the router's configuration settings.

Ninja's suggested solutions are as I was going to mention myself. The easiest would be to remove the ethernet cable.

Starting to get the feeling that it aint going to happen easily. At the moment the network cable gets hidden away but hardly a reliable solution. I remember seeing another modem that actually had a 'dial-up' looking box whenever net was required and the password could be either saved or required each time.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja
    Sounds like the problem should probably be handled by talking to the offender rather than trying half-assed restrictions.
    Today 09:24 PM
    17 year olds dont listen no matter how it is spelled out.

I think putting the password at sign in level was explored but other considerations made that awkward, but it might have to do.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by sam m
    Due to inappropriate use of computer a friend is wanting to restrict usage via Dlink dsl-302g modem so password is required each time.
    I have been in and out of the configuration but not getting very far. What I am wanting is the connection box to appear when access to the net is required. When not required, the admin will be able to disconnect easily and no further access available until password entered again.

any ideas with this modem.

cheers
    A connection box will not appear for the ADSL modem.
    Several ways to restrict access:-
    1. Lock the room where the computer is.
    2. As you leave the room take the network cable or usb cable with you. The modem could be taken as well or take the power supply to the modem.
    3. With WinXP or Win2000 create a profile for the person with a password which does not allow access to the Internet.
    4. Sit alongside the person which uses the inappropriate stuff and hit them any time a link is clicked to a site which should not be allowed. It would be best to explain why the link should not be accesed

These are just a few ideas.

Think seriously about number 1. above.

What about something like (I think it was called) Net Nanny.... allows access to certain sites

Other than that.... a kick in the as* never did me any wrong
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Quote Originally Posted by Mythix
    Other than that.... a kick in the as* never did me any wrong
    I hear ya and maybe if the 17yr old had several of these when he was 7 then we wouldnt be resorting to these measures...... well that's my view anyway.

use an internal adsl modem. a username & password is required like a dailup modem.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Certain ADSL modems supports both "always on" and dial-up connections to ISP. "Always-on" eliminates the need to dial to ISP and is ideal for applications like IP telephony. Dial-up connection lets you save ISP charge, it allows you to disconnect from the Internet when you don't need to use it.

You need to check in your manual if yours can do this or get one that does. Dlinks website should list which ones do.