Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nero 5.5 wont reinstall after XP reinstall

My CDRW/DVD combo (Dick Smith) has run quite happily for the past year on the OEM install of Nero 5.5 that came with it. - OS = Win XP Pro.

After installing a new hard drive and doing a clean install of XP pro - any attempt to install Nero comes up with the following message - "an older version of Nero-Burning Rom was found on your computer" , "Click to remove Nero ....etc".

Needless to say - clicking "Remove" achieves nothing

A Registry search for "Nero" natually yields nothing - as expected

Is it possible that the Nero detects XPs inbuilt CDR drivers ?

Attempted to install Nero after reinstalling most of our previous programs first - certainly nothing related to the CD drive

Most grateful if anyone could shed some light on this mystery.

Default Re: Nero 5.5 wont reinstall after XP reinstall

Download the latest version (6.6.0.8) of Nero.

It might be a bit old the version u have, thats what it's saying.

I dont think Nero worries about what CDR drivers XP has. (Altho XP builtin cd burning isnt that great anyway).

The version of Nero may not be compatible with your version of XP (If u have SP1 or SP2 installed).

Havn't got round to reinstalling SP1 yet , although it was on the PC when I installed Nero the 1st time

dob

I would still get the latest version. It's much better.

The only reason why cd burners wont work with Nero or any version of Nero, is if u changed the burner (if the burner u had died), or the OEM version of Nero u had/have didnt come with the original burner.

BUT this would let u install Nero, BUT the burner wouldnt work / be recognised, coz the burner wasnt the original burner, the OEM version came with.

The only thing is, if u do update Nero, it may remain a demo as the OEM version serial may not / wont work with v6 of Nero.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 14-04-2005 at 03:18 PM.

Hi dob, Welcome to PressF1

Have a look at this Nero FAQ on your error message - here. They offer a General Clean tool which may be of benefit.

Tried Nero Clean Tool

No luck - thanks

try regcleaner or registrar lite to search for and remove any mention of nero, I just did a quick search with registrar lite thru my registry and came up with 589 mentions of nero.........
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

I had this problem a while back. I had a long back and forth email conversation with Nero tech support, following all their recommended steps and using their clean tool. In the end I tracked it down to a corrupt dll file (sorry can't remember which one). The clean tool would remove everything else but not this file and it prevented Nero from running or successfully or re-installing. I couldn't delete it manually -- used assorted disk tools to try and kill it, the lot.

In the end I decided it was time to reformat my disk and re-install Windows, which I did. Haven't had a problem since.

Run the Nero Clean Tool to find out which DLLs are involved. Then locate them and just try renaming them (.bak instead of .dll, for example). If you have the same problem I did, you'll get to one that you can't rename - it's the sick puppy.
    Last edited by Biggles; 14-04-2005 at 04:38 PM.

this was a clean install of XP a few weeks ago on a new HD with just a few basic programs - norton AV, Winzip & some utilities installed (ones that I have used for years) . Same CDRW drive, same PC, same Nero 5.5 - only this time it wont install - can't be any references to Nero in the registry, though I did check just in case (stranger things have happened)

If it's the same issue I had it has nothing to do with registry, it is simply a file corruption. The file won't do it's job (it's corrupt). I had the same error message about an "older version". Try what I suggest and I suspect you will find a single DLL fiule that has gone bad.