Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Looking for phone/fax switch

Tony,
    In the States There is a product called "The Stick" ($139 US) http://faxswitch.com/stick.html that works very well with DSL and ADSL for sorting out your fax calls from your voice calls.

With the Stick your phones work line they did before you added the DSL because you only need one filter instead of having one for each extension. With a single phone line application with extension phones, a fax and a modem, you just plug everything in and your done. Your faxes automatically do to your fax machine or fax modem without ringing any phones and your voice calls ring all of your phones like normal. You can also dial into modems too. It is really very simple.

There is an installation diagram in the online manual under frequently asked questions about DSL. http://faxswitch.com/help/stick/stic...dsl_stick.html

The Stick works well with all phone company features except call forwarding (your fax calls get forwarded with your voice calls), phone company voice mail (since the stick answers all incoming calls you must use an answering machine because it can't send calls back to the phone company), and distinctive ring (the manufacturer has other products for that).

Since you live in New Zealand there will be an extra charge ($25) for the 220-240 electricity power requirements in your country. The company will add this charge to your order to include the proper power supply for New Zealand.

The RJ-11 phone jacks that you use in New Zealand are identical to the ones used in the States so you won't need any phone adaptors or do any wiring.

The only other thing that you need to be aware of is The Stick uses the US and Canada Bell Specification Ring back tone that the callers hear when they ring your phones so it would sound a little different to your callers than the normal double type ringback that I imagine your caller normally hear in New Zealand (it would sound like they are calling to the US). If you think this would bother your callers, it might be better to find a similar product manufactured in New Zealand. Otherwise I am confident that it will work correctly in your environment.

Besides this (the US ring back tone), the extra charges for the New Zealand Power Supply ($25 US) and the cost of shipping to New Zealand (about $70 US), I don't think you will find any other disadvantages of using this product.

If you can't find somthing locally, The Stick will solve your problem.

This looks like blatant advertising to me.

So I am being expected to pay US$139 + $25 + $70 = $NZ335 (approx) for this product that may work. I don't think so.

Well, I agree it seems like advertising, in that the company selling that product is "Higgins International", and the user's name is rhiggins" and it is his first post. On the other hand, he didn't spam but gave you a directed response to your problem.

Our rules on this state:

"No commercial posting, spamming, or otherwise using the forum to promote products and services purely for your own gain. This doesn't stop you recommending products and services to other users, nor does it stop a vendor discussing their products in relation to a post. But users who post purely to promote their business/website may find their threads deleted along with their user ID."

... so I guess it's a matter of interpretation as to whether the user is merely trying to sell his product, or is genuinely giving you an option. Frankly, I think I'd give rhiggins the (marginal) benefit of the doubt on this one, given that he did reply to the subject of the thread, even if it is his own product/company he's promoting. If he's going to go around searching help forums for queries like this and replying to them all it's hardly a cost efficient way of promoting his business.

I think I'm in a similar situation as Tony. I'm wanting to receive faxes with WinFax Pro 10 on a WinXP PC. I have Faxability on the phone line and want to still use Call Minder for voice messages. After toying with the idea of going to an old ISA modem I've come accross something called "Fax Mate" from www.natcomm.com.au. According to the blurb it seperates out the fax and voice calls through faxability before it hits your modem and only lets the faxes through so it seems just the ticket. Has anyone had any experience with one of these (it's NZ$111 so I'd rather be sure it was going to work before I put down the money). I would have thought this whole faxability/modem thing would affect more people than what it seems to.

Phillip

I have the same question. We have call minder and faxability. And dial up internet. Our fax has blown up. Installed MSFax option from XP disk but no faxability cofiguration with MS FAx. Seems like a common thing alright. Perhaps I should organise some software programming outfit to create a solution and then I could get megarich....But then some people dont want to pay for such things...Do they think I should do it all it for nothing? Or do they think outfits like Telecom should be savvy enough to provide the software to whoever has faxability and wants to use the fax software with their modem on their PC? Then Telecom could make MORE money..

I had FaxAbility with ADSL for about 5 years. Always worked well and no compatibility problems at all.
    It cost $4 / month on my phone bill. Quite reasonable for what it provided.
    Last edited by oldguy; 27-06-2007 at 10:58 AM.