Default Dual Monitor setup - Game opening in 'wrong' monitor

Alright, yesterday I got a new LCD and hooked it up to my Geforce 5700 along with my old CRT. Using Nvidia's software I've managed to get it to do most things that I want, except I can't find anywhere to control which monitor full screen applications open on, I've even removed the CRT and reinstalled it and also swapped around which monitor was the primary one, I can't find any way of making this one game open on my LCD while the CRT is still around. Can anyone help me out? Thanks

P.S. You may be wondering why it matters at all - the CRT is on it's way out (it dies sometimes and you have to hit it really hard to make it work again) but I'm going to keep it around for web surfing, instant messaging, etc. while I'm playing games or whatever on the LCD

Default Re: Dual Monitor setup - Game opening in 'wrong' monitor

I actually already had a read of that to see if it could answer my question. I don't think it does. Am I missing something?

You do not mention how they are connected, but could we assume that the LCD is using the DVI connector, and the CRT will be VGA?

I think that may be the issue, the game is probably defaulting to VGA as it does not understand DVI when booting.

I use dual LCD's, one VGA and one LCD. I don't game so cannot advise if there is an innate preference, but all business applications open on whatever screen they were on when they were closed.

WIndows default booting display (BIOS Screen etc) always defaults to the VGA connected screen though, and thats possibly the case for your game.

When I have an LCD monitor hooked up to the DVI port of my graphics card and a CRT to the other port, applications will open on the monitor on which they were used last. Does that not happen with you?

Some applications, I think Eudora is one, do not support dual monitors though, and will only open on the main, or first, monitor specified in Display Properties. It is possible that this could be your experience with the non-cooperating program.

Or have I not understood your problem correctly?

Your assumptions are correct, Godfather. They're both hooked up to my Geforce 5700 which has one of each type of connection. Both screens display the same thing upon boot-up, with the CRT lagging slightly behind the LCD.

Other applications do open on the monitor they were last used on, Foxy, but the thing is there's no way to move this application from one to the other so it's always opening on the one. I also thought that the trouble could be because the LCD was listed as the second monitor, as you say, so I removed the CRT and then added it again so as to leave the LCD as #1, only that didn't fix it.

Godfather's probably right (or at least he has the most feasible suggestion I've heard so far) and my dream of gaming-whilst-chatting may have to wait until I have two fully functional monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by hummingbird42
    I actually already had a read of that to see if it could answer my question. I don't think it does. Am I missing something?
    Dunno, I couldn't be bothered reading the entire thing!! But it did mention as the others have said about the apps on whatever was the last used one.
    Plus it mentions it doesn't really work trying to do the net while running a game as you have to alt tab back to the desktop.....dunno, can't say I've ever had 2 monitors to try it myself but it did sound logical to me.

Try properties/settings/advanced on the desktop. Then click on the name of the card (Geforce FX5700) or whatever.

First option (the name of the card), click on the + Full screen video. Change full screen device to primary or secondary.

Well dunno if this will work, but thats how I've connected this screen to a TV

I can be online with the CRT and watch whatever else on the TV.