Default PressF1 rules: posting website links

Some folks will know that I got a temporary ban from PressF1 recently because of posting a link to another (non-commercial) website I run.

I made a private sincere apology to the Moderator for my foul language in response to the ban.

However it leaves the issue - why should people who contribute to these forums be discriminated against for posting links to (especially) non-commercial websites?

My arguments are...

1) We contribute to the success of PressF1 online, why can't we at least post personal website links?
    2) A huge number of websites are linked to by most people, including Moderators - what's the deciding factor that determines whether a commercial website can be linked to, or a non-commercial website can be linked to?
    3) Websites linked to in the Off-Topic forums aren't intruding on the general support forum visitors.
    4) Going by what's happened before, any website can be linked to, but not if it's your own. In other words, all my family and friends could link to sites I run, but I can't.
    5) My missus is creating a site of historical interest, entirely non-commercial, but because I host it I can't link to it here.

I think PressF1's Moderators should discuss these inconsistencies.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Default Re: PressF1 rules: posting website links

Points noted and it is being discussed.

You should be able to post any links you want, provided:

1. they don't point to content that is offensive, unlawful or pay-per-view/click/whatever;
    2. your intention is to make a relevant, in-context, contribution to a new or existing thread using the contents of the linked site as reference, source or proof.

It goes without saying you should not provide proof by citing content you wrote yourself - that is ridiculous. Anything else is spam, and should be terminated without prejudice.

I would like to give my support to the moderators, especially Jen, as they have done a pretty good job of killing spam on this board.

Note that the contents of this board are indexed by Google quickly - this makes it a target for spammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    Some folks will know that I got a temporary ban from PressF1 recently because of posting a link to another (non-commercial) website I run.
    Hi Greg

As I explained earlier to you privately, your ban wasn't for posting a non-commercial link to a website, but it was for specifically starting a new thread, twice withing 24 hrs, just to say go look at my website. This was posting purely to get people to look at a website, and was no different to spamming. Would you of started yet another thread for a third or fourth time if it had gone un-noticed?

Basically, it was the starting of new threads purely to push your website.

However it leaves the issue - why should people who contribute to these forums be discriminated against for posting links to (especially) non-commercial websites?
    It was your delivery method. I already suggested to you that you include the URL in your signature, a method that works well for lots of members who wish to display their personal non-commerical website URL's. This is perfectly acceptable and always has been, which covers your points which were raised.

I think PressF1's Moderators should discuss these inconsistencies.
    Well are discussing this, and thanks for asking for clarification.

Hash Slinging Slasher

Provided a link actually contributes to a discussion (EG if someone's site was specifically about getting rid of spyware), then it should be allowed. Otherwise, it gets stuck in your sig. Even if it is a non commercial site, posting a whole new thread about it is annoying.

Unless there is an integrated "Post your links forum" that's hidden from people under a certain post count...

Rules. Don't you love them

Wink Re: PressF1 rules: posting website links

Where would we be without them? Good work Jen.

hmmm....I have read this thread a couple of times, thought about it a bit and decided to make my thoughts known,to the betterment of all...

Why the hell is it a holiday when instead of kicking back without the stress of work one gets lumped with so many jobs around the house it makes a day at work look like a relaxing time.

I look foward to the end of this long weekend,and a casual return to work....

That is all.

Muhahahahhahahaha.

as for Links, I thought the last version was boring, Next time im going to buy the Tiger Woods game.
    better Dredd then dead

Talking Re: PressF1 rules: posting website links

Quote Originally Posted by Metla
    hmmm....I have read this thread a couple of times, thought about it a bit and decided to make my thoughts known,to the betterment of all...

Why the hell is it a holiday when instead of kicking back without the stress of work one gets lumped with so many jobs around the house it makes a day at work look like a relaxing time.

I look foward to the end of this long weekend,and a casual return to work....

That is all.

Muhahahahhahahaha.

as for Links, I thought the last version was boring, Next time im going to buy the Tiger Woods game.

Sorry Greg, have to reply to Metla.

Metla, Don't be such a grumpy beggar, get those chores done quickly & SHE will Love you forever. Works for me. PJ

ps I have one of these as well, PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)