Charlier Member

Default Electrical interference & ram

I was wonderin how much electrical interference is supposed to come out of a computer, ive been running a program called freeramxp which basically frees up the ram, and everytime it 'frees' the ram i get an almost psycho amount of static, ghosting and loud noises screamin out of my tv which is located about a meter away.
    its not plugged in the same power socket either.

its not that its that annoying im just wondering if this normal and why it would have such an huge effect on it. is it just because so much electricity is movin thru teh ram...

should i be worried?
    amd2400+
    256m
    xphome

Default Re: Electrical interference & ram

No idea about your main question, Though I am interested to know how loading a program into ram to do an unneeded job is helpfull......
    better Dredd then dead

What type of antenna do you have on the TV. If it is an indoor job then there is nothing very surprising about what you see and hear.

Personally I don't think ram-freeing programs are worth a pinch of poop. They are a dubious answer to a question that nobody was asking.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Charlier Member

well i dont really use it free up the ram that much anyway, most of the time its just ther in the tray to tell me how much is left.
    im not really sure if it helps at all i guess it must, takes 30 free mb up to like 120 cant be that unuseful

yea its a nice pair of bunny ears

The problem with programs that free up ram is that they are loaded into ram themselves (like all running programs) thereby permanetly using a certain amount of your ram,not a lot but its already a step backwards, then they clear your ram, removing the cache that windows has made availble to itself for quick access,thats your second step backwards....

This cache is instantly replaced by other files as you use them,The ram is always "free",and instanly available.Ram boosters,cleaners are a scam/sham/legyank.

The key to making an XP machine run crisply on 256mb is to keep the startup programs to the bare minimum.......
    better Dredd then dead

Charlier Member

oh yep thanks i dont think ill be be runnin it anymore sounds like a rip

they do help when programs are run and then refuse to let go of the ram they were using even after being shutdown,this is poor coding on the programmers side and not very commen an issue nowadays,largly because XP is pretty good at stopping it, and many dodgy programs have matured or been killed off.

Its a bigger issue with Windows 98 and ME (though ME has bad memory allocation builit right into it.....)
    better Dredd then dead

Charlier Member

oh yep cool thanks

Pedant and proud of it

But the answer to the basic question is "not very much". The first plastic cased PCs had a lot of aluminium paint and metal plates to make then comply with the interference standards. You will see ferrite "lumps" on various cables.

If you have the cover off the computer, it will radiate more than it should. If you have left off any of the plates for unused PCI slots, it will radiate more than it should.

Now that the CPU clocks are above most radio and TV frequencies, CPU noise will be less of a problem, but there are still some lower frequency signals around, and their harmonics can be a nuisance.

One early programmers' game was making the computer radiation cause a computer to play music on a receiver. I could always tell what a PDP8 was doing just from the noise in an AM radio in the next room.

I was interested to see the maximum allowable RF from a big welder. The FCC allowed it 1V/m at 100 m.