Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Correct my English!

Default Time synchronization of Computer's Time

Hey there, I just want to know, how did my computer's (Win XP home edition) manage to synchronize the time with the outside world (I mean, the Internet) without asking my firewall's permission?

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

VoidMaster

Default Re: Time synchronization of Computer's Time

Don't know that it did, I think that it is just built into the software to drop an hour at the end of daylight saving. There is an option to set this up during the instal. I was on the computer, Win2KPro, and with no notification the time reverted during my usage but the system said nothing to me. On Win98SE you get a notification.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Correct my English!

Don't think that synchronisation feature is meant for daylight saving thing only.

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

It knows the daylight settings from when you told it which region you were in. If you changed the region to China or anywhere else, it wouldn't have happened. The time sync is just for time , not date.
    Ever stop to think, and forgot to start again?

VoidMaster

I just moved onto Win98SE OS and there it was, a notification asking me to check the time was correct.
    So you did actually activate some feature to synchronize your time to the outside world, which it did through the firewall without giving a warning etc? Is this what you are saying?
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty
    So you did actually activate some feature to synchronize your time to the outside world, which it did through the firewall without giving a warning etc? Is this what you are saying?
    No, it is purely a software adjustment, it just changes your real time clock by one hour. If your real time clock is in error, then you will find out when you synchronise via an external time server.
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

....and just adding....
    XP doesn't say if it corrects for average ping time to the time server, as some other 3rd party synchronisation programs like '4th Dimension' do.
    Remembering Rich Conaty, 1954 - 2016....."and don't you never forget, rhythm saved the world, Aloha"

VoidMaster

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty
    Don't know that it did, I think that it is just built into the software to drop an hour at the end of daylight saving. There is an option to set this up during the instal.
    I getting confused, I thought that was what I said in the first place.

I used to use something called "Atomic" to synchronise the clock on my PC when I was still using Windows. It knew about daylight savings from the values you entered in the Windows time zone configuration.

If any of you are using Linux or *BSD, you can use a built-in service called ntpd (network time protocol daemon). Just set it up to poll 3 - 5 atomic clocks regularly (lots scattered throughout the Pacific rim) and your PC will keep perfect time.

Sorry zqwerty, it is me getting confused between your post and Jameskans. I meant to re-inforce yours that it is just a software alteration, not a synchronisation. Synchronisation is a separate operation.