Default WindowsXP Updates problems

Hi there.
    I'm having a problem with windows xp update, since I was downloading them and had to restart the machine, it was not the first time I did reboot while I was updating, so I guessed that when I tried to continue the update process it would start from the point were it stoped. But now the update keeps downloading forever and never stops, doing it with the automatic update the percentage never goes up, but still it is downloading, from the update site it reaches the end and then adds 2Mb more, when it finishes those 2 it adds 2 more and so on. So I'm stuck here and don't know what to do to solve this, already searched the web for info, but nothing.
    I was trying to know where windows keeps track of the update progress so I could "delete" it to see if it would start from the beginning.
    So if anyone has any ideas it would be more than welcome.
    Thanks!

Elite

Default Re: WindowsXP Updates problems

One of the best places to find help in the windowsupdate newsgroup . Have a search in there.

Suggest turn off automatic updates as follows
    Start | Control Panel | Automatic Updates | Green dot "Turn off Automatic Updates"
    Then go on line | Open Internet Explorer | Tools | Windows Updates | Cl Custom Install | From update list delete green tick from all except one | cl Go to instal updates | Instal this one update . Repeat this process one by one, until or if you find the problem update.
    One other point, what version of XP and have you installed SP2 ?.

Thanks for your help.
    I could install some of the updates, but other keep downloading forever like I've said before. I also realise that the automatic update process keeps appearing and desappearing even if it is turned off, is there other way of stoping it from runing?

Oh, I'm using winXP Professional with SP1.

Ok, I just turned win update off following instructions from the windowsupdate newsgroup, that solved the problem of the process being constantly active and downloading, but now I can't update not even from the update site, so what I do is enable win update, update through the site and turn it off again, but how can I install the ones that stay downloading forever?

Quote Originally Posted by MaximuDM
    Ok, I just turned win update off following instructions from the windowsupdate newsgroup, that solved the problem of the process being constantly active and downloading, but now I can't update not even from the update site, so what I do is enable win update, update through the site and turn it off again, but how can I install the ones that stay downloading forever?
    I'm on WinXP SP1 and had to download the updates one by one. Make sure that you have "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them" checked in system properties>auto updates. [via R/click My Computer]

When you go into the update program, ignore the SP2 update, and click on the tab which shows you other updates.
    When they come up, click the first one only and then click on update or whatever the wording is to download and install it. Once it is installed, go to updates again and repeat from the beginning again. Continue till all are downloaded.

Doing it this way worked for me, and I think the particular update that caused the problem was one that showed as 0 KB or 0 something, but it did download by itself. Everything is still working on my computer so guess it worked. Good luck.