Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bowling Club Member

Question Set up NFS with Xandros

I have 2 comps in my home network running WindowsXP and Xandros 3.0. With either comp on Xandros and the other on Windows I can see all the drives on both comps with Windows Network but if both comps are on Xandros neither comp is visible to the other. While I was trying to get it working a pop up message appeared briefly to say "the network server is not started" or something like that. I rebooted both comps and the message has not reappeared.
    Question is.
    1. How do I find out if the server is running and if its not how do I start it?
    2. How do I format "Share to Mount" in the Mount Network Share box. Every thing I try I get "UNC path you entered is invalid"

Needs to be plain language for me I don't speak linux.
    Thanks in advance.
    Ian
    I may not be as good as I once was but I'm far better once than I ever was.

Default Re: Set up NFS with Xandros

I'm not sure how you do this via a GUI, but it is not hard to do manually.

1. You need the following services to be running first:
    nfs
    portmapper

The following steps are using 192.168.1.2 as the NFS server and 192.168.1.3 as the client.

The following steps are to be done on the machine which will be the server (host):

2. Make sure your directory to be shared is on the / partition, and not on a separate partition (I couldn't get it to work otherwise).

3. As root you need to edit /etc/exports and add the shared directory path on the server and then the IP of the client machines (the ones which will access the server)
    eg in /etc/exports add
    /home/username/shared 192.168.1.3(rw)

4. Then edit /etc/hosts.deny and add
    portmap:ALL
    lockd:ALL
    rquotad:ALL
    statd:ALL

5. Then edit /etc/hosts.allow and add the following with the clients IP
    portmap: 192.168.1.3
    lockd: 192.168.1.3
    rquotad: 192.168.1.3
    statd: 192.168.1.3

[Steps 4 and 5 are for security, and lock the NFS down to only accept connections from the stated client machine]

6. To verify the NFS is running enter in:
    rpcinfo -p

If you make any changes to the /etc/exports, you need to get it re-read by the nfsd by entering in:
    exportfs -ra

The following steps are to be done on the machine which will be the client:

1. Start portmap, and make sure rpc.statd and rpc.lockd are running

2. Make a mount point under /mnt
    eg mkdir /mnt/shared

3. To access the shared directory on the server (192.168.1.2) you just need to enter this command:

mount 192.168.1.2:/home/username/shared /mnt/shared

Just change the paths to your shared folder/directory and machine IP's to suit in the examples above.

I'm not sure how you start all the above services in Xandros, but there probably is a GUI services for this?

Pedant and proud of it

And of course, to do all these things you need to be logged in as root.

You will probably find that you can't login to the other machine as root (using Telnet or SSH or FTP) ... mostly the defaults are set to not allow this dangerous practice. (You can usually login as an ordinary user then "su".)

Bowling Club Member

Thanks Jen
    I havent started on this yet. I have a Question. My router address is 192.168.1.2. The 2 comps have fixed address 192.168.1.16 and 192.168.1.91 can I use these.
    Ian

You need to delegate one machine to be the NFS server. In my example this was the 192.168.1.2 machine. The other machine(s) will be clients only.

So, you could set up your 192.168.1.16 as the server, and 192.168.1.91 as the client or vice versa. Your router's IP is not involved with this.

All those instructions were from notes I took when I set up NFS on my network, so hopefully they will get your sorted. I don't really run NFS now, because my client machine is my test box and depending upon which HDD caddy I load, may be running Gentoo, Yoper, SuSE or an old Fedora Core 3 test 2 release. As these are not permanent installs that are used for everday use, it wasn't worth setting up a variety of NFS clients in my configs. I just use scp to move files between boxes if required.

Bowling Club Member

Forgot to mention the files I want to interchange are on a seperate home partition on both comps. At the moment I have both comps side by side to get this working, then I can wheel it back to my sons room where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen
    2. Make sure your directory to be shared is on the / partition, and not on a separate partition (I couldn't get it to work otherwise).
    Quote Originally Posted by i-gordon
    Forgot to mention the files I want to interchange are on a seperate home partition on both comps.
    Ah! You might have a bit of trouble then. I have my /home on a separate partition as well and could never get NFS to work for some unknown reason with that setup. When I created a new /shared directory located on the / partition, it worked fine. Be interesting if anyone else has comments over this.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

To be honest, stuff NFS and just go for shfs (ssh filesystem) if the kernel supports it, or more ideally you want SAMBA!!

Grab a sample smb.conf file from http://www.dimension.net.nz/dump/smb.conf
    Edit the shares that are at the bottom, and you might want to change the PC name also (right up the top of the config file)
    Save it as /etc/samba/smb.conf and as root run:
    /etc/init.d/samba restart

Your PC will then be sharing files/folders via SMB which is what Windows uses. You can then browse the LAN and find them, or mount them with the command:
    mount -t smbfs -o username=user,password=pass //192.168.0.1/sharename /mnt/mountpoint
    Add it to /etc/fstab if you like too

Chill.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence
    To be honest, stuff NFS and just go for shfs (ssh filesystem) if the kernel supports it, or more ideally you want SAMBA!!l.
    Does Samba do Linux to Linux filesharing? I thought it was for Linux-Windows filesharing only

Bowling Club Member

Wink Re: Set up NFS with Xandros

Jen
    Getting bogged down. I'm not really to keen on messing around in root in case I wreck a good setup.
    No etc/exports or etc/hosts. files probably located somewhere else.
    I think I might go back to shifting my shared files from Xandros to Windows to Xandros by copy and paste like I did before. Every thing else to do with networking in Xandros is all GUI and easy, I thought Xandros to Xandros would be a doddle. Thanks for all the trouble you have gone to.
    Ian