Вanned

Default Importing Outlook Express mail into Thunderbird

Well I've just finished fixing my Grandad's computer with a format and install of Win98SE to get his modem working and not blue screening when trying to connect.

Problem:
    I found the Outlook Express mail folder in C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\Mail\ and copied it to another partition hoping that would back it up.

The filelist inside is:
    deleted items.idx
    deleted items.mbx
    inbox.idx
    inbox.mbx
    outbox.idx
    outbox.mbx
    sent items.idx
    sent items.mbx
    folders.nch
    pop3uidl.dat
    mbx7165.tmp, mbx7166.tmp, mbx8374, mbx8375.tmp

The inbox.mdx is like 277KB and the tmp files are over a few MB each.

Now how do I get Thunderbird to import them? I have tried doing it inside Thunderbird and specified the directory where the files were but it didn't import any mail, just the folders. I tried copying the folders back into OE but that didn't work either. I also tried the OE 'import mail files from a folder' but it couldn't find the necessary files or something.

Previously the computer was on Windows 95 so it would have been using whatever version of OE that came with that. The version of OE it is running now is v5.00.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Importing Outlook Express mail into Thunderbird

Hi
    The default location for OE mail seems to be
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{25C4FEC0-7A06-11D9-A55D-F6120800E241}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    maybe try pointing T'bird in there ?

Mine imported from OE 5 no problem from the Tools/Import routine in T'bird

Pete

Вanned

Damn, still only imports the one welcome message. I probably should have backed up those dbx files or something prior to formatting. Fark!

I swear I looked through the C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\ folder for important stuff before formatting. Didn't think to look in the Identities folder. Bloody Microsoft, why would they put the mail somewhere like that?

Looks as you may have backed up the wrong files see here

Quote Originally Posted by E|im
    Damn, still only imports the one welcome message. I probably should have backed up those dbx files or something prior to formatting. Fark!

I swear I looked through the C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\ folder for important stuff before formatting. Didn't think to look in the Identities folder. Bloody Microsoft, why would they put the mail somewhere like that?
    As you have just discovered, you have backed up the wrong files.

The files you have saved are for Outlook, not Express, which uses the .dbx files. If you had looked in Tools > Options > Maintenance > Store Folder you would have found the location of the .dbx files and been able to back them up. The other way of finding them is to do a search for *.dbx but you had the wrong files in mind anyway.

It is too late for you now but there is also a FAQ on what files to backup that may have helped: FAQ #40 - How do I backup my important files? Which files should I back up?

What a hard lesson for you to learn but at least you won't forget it in a hurry. Hope your Grandad doesn't get too cross with you.

Вanned

Thanks people, I won't be forgetting that anytime soon. I hope he doesn't get too upset about it either. The last emails were from November 2004 as that was around the time the computer went out of action. He's mostly blind now so the computer will just be used by my Nana to get new emails and read them out to him. I did get his full address book imported though so if there is anything important I guess he could re-request it from the sender.