Thread: External HD

Lab Rat

Default External HD

Hi,

I just brought an external HD from supercheap computers. I have been sent it in two parts. A seagate 160G 8mb cache HD and an external 3.5" usb2.0 case. Unfortunately it didn't come with much in the way of instructions. About the only thing it did say was that the drive might need to be formatted first. So I have connected the drive to my computer and formatted it so I know that the drive is functioning fine but when I put the case together I don't get anything. Apparently Windows XP is supposed to recognise and install it automatically. The first time I put it together a speech bubble came up above the system tray saying that an error had occured when it tried to install new hardware and that it might not function correctly (and it doesn't). Does anyone have any ideas? The link to the site where I bought the usb case:

http://supercheappc.biz/site/product...roducts_id=204

man of many hats....

Default Re: External HD

If you have formatted and partitioned the drive, installed it in the case, it should be simple to plug it into a USB port on your pc.

What is the error message that you see.......

I would try another USB port on your machine and see what happens then.

My other thought is that maybe being a USB powered case there may not be enough power to run the hard drive sufficiently.
    Maybe you could look at swapping the drive case to a 5 1/4" mains powered external case.

I have had a similar drive setup for a couple of years and no problems with Win XP.

Do we ever grow up or just learn how to behave in public?

Your USB ports are working ok with other USB devices?
    Check in Device manager and see if it has partly installed it - that is, if it is listed with a problem. Uninstall it and try installing again.
    XP should just pick it up and install it itself without needing a driver.
    Also you will get USB 1.1 but only USB 2 if you have service pack 1 or 2 installed.

Only the 2.5" don't have their own power cords - the 3.5" s do. Anyway if you connect it without the power cord Windows will still find the device - you just can't access the HDD.

Is SP1 or 2 installed? You need SP1 for USB 2.

And have u got USB 2 onboard somewhere??

If not install SP1 or 2. Then go to device manager delete the entry / entries for this hdd, then reboot. See what happens.

Camelot's Wizard

Set the hard drive as master before connecting to the USB port.

Opportunities are never lost; someone else will take the ones you miss
    - Anonymous

There can be only one.

A 2.5 external hardrive should come with a secondary power connector (well the dozen or so I have made up have) either in the form of a usb pass through cable that enables you to utilise two usb ports to drive it or through a dedicated usb power cable or through a ps 2 bypass cable. 2.5 external hardrives will often show up in windows when installed but will not run properly (if at all) unless they get sufficient power.
    Your not using an external unpowered usb hub are you ? as the same problem will occur.
    Older drives around the 6 to 10 gig era frequently require the secondary power source to kick start them in going and you can actually disconnect the power cable once they are running.
    Last edited by the highlander; 06-03-2005 at 09:04 PM.

Lab Rat

Yeah I have XP patched to sp2 with usb2.0 working and I checked the usb ports I was using with another device which seemed to work fine. The unit does have an external power source but I am not sure that it is working correctly since neither of the lights on the unit light up. Someone mentioned checking somewhere to see if it had been partially installed? can you direct me there to see since windows doesn't tell you what it is doing in the background or the type or error generated! OK so I am going to check the power supply to the unit and get back to everyone, thanks for all of your help.

Lab Rat

Smile Re: External HD

Ok,

After writing that last message my flatmate came home and we tested the power supply using his multimeter and it appears that the power supply is faulty. So we are going to contact the supplier to get a new one sent. Thanks again everyone.

Pico