Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Good Laptop Deal? Anywhere Cheaper?

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new entry level laptop. To be used for work and study, which means a lot of word processing, also surfing the net and the odd powerpoint presentation. Watching a DVD is also something I would like to be able to do occasionally. Portability is not too much of an issue, am not looking for something "super light". Looking at paying something around the $2000 mark. Went around the main shops today, DSE, Noel Leeming, RetraVision and 100% YES. The one that caught my eye in terms of features and value (I am new to the whole laptop scene however) is the ASUS A4000D from DSE HERE (Cat: XC3532 ).

I had a look on pricespy.co.nz but can't find anywhere else that stocks it, as I was trying to get it a little cheaper (or a lot ). I can't even find any reviews etc anywhere to be honest, after a few hours of looking. Can anyone give me some advice on this model, I have heard that ASUS are a good brand, is $2400 a good price, or can I get it cheaper (if so where from?). I also like the fact that it comes with a 2 year global warranty. What would my other options be in terms of specs and price? Many thanks for any help.

Default Re: Good Laptop Deal? Anywhere Cheaper?

Yes Asus are a good brand,and DSE prices for the units can be quite reasonable, Make sure you get a second opinion on anything the salesman tells you though.....

Is the laptop any good?

Indeed it is.

Certainly be able to run a large amount of games on the market.(not at steller levels but ....meh)

Looking on the supply list that model isn't listed which accounts for no one else having them,The importer is out.
    better Dredd then dead

Pedant and proud of it

Perhaps DSE import them themselves. They are a bigger company than many NZ "wholesalers",and are used to dealing direct with manufacturers. (For a while, they were the NZ agents for some brands of integrated chips.)

As far as i know and going by the stock lines DSE get em from the same place as everybody else, Goes for many other lines as well.

What DSE gets through its own supply lines is usually rebranded DSE (and its sourced through DSE in Australia, DSE NZ are no more importers then i am a salesman). You will find that once a manufacturer has a importer they wont go out of their way and do a seperate deal just for DSE.

Though i could be way off, Alan seems to have inside knowledge,maybe he might inject a couple cents.

And i wouldn't discount DSE buying an entire line from the importer.
    better Dredd then dead

Quote Originally Posted by weevaa
    Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new entry level laptop. To be used for work and study, which means a lot of word processing, also surfing the net and the odd powerpoint presentation. Watching a DVD is also something I would like to be able to do occasionally. Portability is not too much of an issue, am not looking for something "super light". Looking at paying something around the $2000 mark. Went around the main shops today, DSE, Noel Leeming, RetraVision and 100% YES. The one that caught my eye in terms of features and value (I am new to the whole laptop scene however) is the ASUS A4000D from DSE HERE (Cat: XC3532 ).

I had a look on pricespy.co.nz but can't find anywhere else that stocks it, as I was trying to get it a little cheaper (or a lot ). I can't even find any reviews etc anywhere to be honest, after a few hours of looking. Can anyone give me some advice on this model, I have heard that ASUS are a good brand, is $2400 a good price, or can I get it cheaper (if so where from?). I also like the fact that it comes with a 2 year global warranty. What would my other options be in terms of specs and price? Many thanks for any help.

The A4000D is not being offered now. The A4500L is.
    How about $2250 for it.
    Last edited by pctek; 26-02-2005 at 03:34 PM.

hmmmm

Asus A4500L 15", XP Home, Intel Mobile Celeron 2.93Ghz, Combo Drive, 256Mb DRAM, 40Gb HDD, 10/100 LAN, Windows XP Home, 2 year International warranty. With mouse only, no Bag.

Not even in the same league.

and i could supply that one for $1650
    better Dredd then dead

Quote Originally Posted by Metla
    hmmmm

Asus A4500L 15", XP Home, Intel Mobile Celeron 2.93Ghz, Combo Drive, 256Mb DRAM, 40Gb HDD, 10/100 LAN, Windows XP Home, 2 year International warranty. With mouse only, no Bag.

Not even in the same league.

and i could supply that one for $1650
    Not that one!
    This one!!
    A4500L, 15INCHXGA, Mobile Pentium4 3.06G), 256MB, 40GB, DVD-Dual, WinXP Home, 802.11B
    Features
    » 15" XGA Active Matrix TFT
    » Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 3.06GHz
    » 256Mb DDR333 DRAM
    » 40Gb HDD
    » DVD-Dual
    » Integrated 64Mb Shared
    » Windows XP Home
    » 2 Year International Warranty
    » Free Bag and Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by pctek
    Not that one!
    This one!!
    A4500L, 15INCHXGA, Mobile Pentium4 3.06G), 256MB, 40GB, DVD-Dual, WinXP Home, 802.11B
    Features
    » 15" XGA Active Matrix TFT
    » Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 3.06GHz
    » 256Mb DDR333 DRAM
    » 40Gb HDD
    » DVD-Dual
    » Integrated 64Mb Shared
    » Windows XP Home
    » 2 Year International Warranty
    » Free Bag and Mouse
    20GB smaller HD, half the RAM, XP Home instead of Pro, smaller screen, for $150 less?

So $2400 from DSE sounds fair, nowhere else cheaper? Good laptop for the price?
    Last edited by weevaa; 26-02-2005 at 03:53 PM.

Its actually 20gb smaller

anyhow, Your first choice also has its own seperate video ram, a big bonus.And the extra 256mb of system ram is required to get the best out of a laptop.

Then you have that damn fine 64 bit cpu.......
    better Dredd then dead

Whoops, my mistake. Well I guess if I can't find a better deal then I will be off to DSE early next week.