Default Virus located in "Access Denied" folder

Help, a couple of days ago my daughter went to a site on the Web and it loaded my computer with Spyware. I have managed to clean up 99% of it except for one file. Last night while doing a scan with Ad-Aware, it stirred up a file that my McAfee said was a pop up virus. McAfee couldn't delete or clean it so I wrote down the path and tried to do it manually. It is in the Doc & Settings\u\Local Settings\Temporary Int folder. I tried to open the "u" folder but it told me that "Access Denied". I couldn't change the folder properties to allow me to open it. Also, if I leave the mouse pointer on the folder it states that the folder is empty! If I walk away from the computer for 5 minutes, it fills the screen with pop-ups. Neither Ad-Aware nor Spybot can locate it. I thought of going in through the Command Prompt using MS-Dos and killing it that way. But I don't remember the Dos command for delete (del?) Any and all suggestions would be very appreciated. I'm using Windows XP SP1
    Last edited by Scuda; 11-02-2005 at 07:30 AM.

Computer Engineer

Default Re: Virus located in "Access Denied" folder

Hi Scuda! So what is the name of the file or adware/spyware that it's picking up? You may wish to download and update Micosoft's new AntiSpyware, you can get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx it also has this nice feature of allowing you to remove adware/spyware as it installs itself to your PC. The bet thing to do is restart your PC into SAFEMODE, to get to SAFEMOOD, keep pressing the F8 key and arrow up to SAFEMODE and press ENTER. When you get to the Welcome Screen (If it does) select Administrator (This will give you all rights to each Temp folder under each users profile. Run MS Antispyware from the desktop icon. Choose a full scan and make sure each of the tick boxes are selected. If the virus is something like ISTBAR then i suggest going to symantec.com and doing a search for it, they have a removal tool for it, i found none of the anti spyware programs fixed this except for the symantec's removal tool, because everytime you go to use internet explorer it will try to reinstall itself. But i definitely recommend getting MS AntiSpyware even though it's still in Beta. MS AntiSpyware is only for Windows XP as far as I know. Let me know if this solves your problem...

XP DONT got dos.........

Y'arrr

There are no such things as ghosts, only clumsy ninjas.

Did you clean out your temporary and temporary internet files prior to scanning? A good program that will do it for you is CCleaner. Make sure you reboot your computer after running it so that it can clear the index.dat files.

Do another scan afterwards and see if the file has gone.

Tried logging in as the local admin and deleting it? Or safe mode?