Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Running application as Administrator in XP

My dad is trying to get a program running on the PCs at work, but it needs to be run as administrator user. Is it possible to set a program to Run as Administrator every time it's used? I know you can choose Run As when you start it, but this would require the admin password to be entered every time. He wants the admin and password saved against the shortcut (or whatever) to launch it as Admin every time without a prompt for the password.

Mike.
    what are you doing looking in here?

Elite

Default Re: Running application as Administrator in XP

Well I guess you could just become an admin fulltime (okay it isn't the best of practices but I always just use an admin account all the time).

The commandline version of runas and at least on xp pro is can save the password for runas see

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...5329~mode=flat

Or you could use a scripting language like AutoIt

http://www.hiddensoft.com/autoit3/do...s/RunAsSet.htm

Be careful though..

Quote Originally Posted by gibler
    Well I guess you could just become an admin fulltime (okay it isn't the best of practices but I always just use an admin account all the time).
    Not really suitable as he works in a school and the computers are used by students

Mike.
    what are you doing looking in here?

Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Not really suitable as he works in a school and the computers are used by students

Mike.
    Well why not just setup another user account ?

Could just setup that user to have all permissions for that program, but I'd be concerned if it had an option to save files, as it means it could be used to browse things that should be unaccessible to a normal user. As well as provide a means to alter file permissions and actually give them the upper hand.

It's Windows XP anyways, I wouldn't worry about the above too much, it's bound to happen sooner or later.

KK

Pedant and proud of it

What sort of programme is this? How did it get "approved for Windows", even given MS's tenuous grasp on the basics of secutity.

NO "user" programme should ever need adminstrator privilege. Most programmes run by an administrator don't need adminstrator privilege. That's why professional adminstrators have ordinary user accounts for use most of the time.

If it's in a school environment surely they have enough problems with "smart" kids trying to break the system without having a programme which runs with adminstrator privilege. Too many programmes can be used to run other applications from inside the same security environment. If that's Adminstrator, there went the system security.

Of course you could just remove the Adminstrator password. I've always said that computers have no educational merit, anyway, so have no place in schools.

Although I agree with Graham L's coments, there are programs that I have experanced that do require admin privileges to run (Sims2 for example). But there are ways round this which can be a securty risk in itself.
    I am talking of registry permissions. Alot of these programs that require admin privileges to run need that privilege because they need to write information to the registry of the machine and XP very protective about who can and cant write to the registry and some other areas of the machine.

Youll find this problem alot from network delivered applications ie a shortcut points at a application that is run from a network share.

You can further reduce the damage done by inquiring minds by using hard drive protection software such as DeepFreeze or HD Gaurd.

I've always said that computers have no educational merit, anyway, so have no place in schools
    ah he forgets about the games
    Trust me. I know what I'm doing.Sledge Hammer

Linux the only way to get rid of the windows boot sector virus ( Geoff Palmer , Jun 28, 2004 Tips & Help : Tux Love, PCWorld NZ)

Parkinsons NZ

Glad I haven't got Sims 2 around here, what a nutty way to set up software let alone a game.

Agree with GL. It shouldn't need to happen.

Hi all!
    I come all the way from Sweden to participate in this forum..

A comment on bad programs (that need to be run as Administrator):

All Adobe programs is like this. Our students run them, an of course I don't want them to be admins! The latest headache is Photoshop Elements 3. Now, I'm going to try AutoIt, with the ability to make an . exe of the file.

there are ways round this but those in themselves open other security issues
    ie giving administrator rights to certain hives of the registry, also you can expand user rights to directories. My faveroite and the one in use at my place of work is, fat32, all users are administrators of the machine only and software hard-drive protection such as deepfreeze or hdgaurd. the software metioned allows for the machine to be reset back to orginal configuration by simply turning off and turning back on. If you what more information on the software I have metioned google is your friend. One of them allows for remote shutdown of the a "slave" machine from a "master" machine.
    Trust me. I know what I'm doing.Sledge Hammer

Linux the only way to get rid of the windows boot sector virus ( Geoff Palmer , Jun 28, 2004 Tips & Help : Tux Love, PCWorld NZ)

Parkinsons NZ