Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hacking

Default Hacking

I know less than nothing about hacking. I'm just curious.
    I don't want a technical answer.No info that would help would be hackers.

How does one go about hacking? If I knew your phone number and dialed it through my computer I would probably get "engaged" if you were on line. Or someone would answer if you weren't.

If you have a dedicated line directly to your computer and I dialed in. If you were on line I should get engaged. But if you were not, what would I get?

And what about broadband? How does one dial in ?

These questions may be realy dumb to some of you, but to me they are perfectly valid. Or perhaps I'm realy dumb.

Jack

Default Re: Hacking

Quote Originally Posted by JJJJJ

If you have a dedicated line directly to your computer and I dialed in. If you were on line I should get engaged. But if you were not, what would I get?

Jack
    I would need to have my computer set to answer incoming data calls for you to get into it

And what about broadband? How does one dial in ?
    You could try to get in through the internet using there IP address, which is why most people have firewalls to stop that happening
    I haven't grown up yet, I've just learnt how to behave in public

So If I am not set up to receive incomming calls I am Safe?
    Jack

yes. If you want to check it, get someone to ring your ph number and see if your computer answers the call.
    I haven't grown up yet, I've just learnt how to behave in public

Jack, that is not how it is done in the common way.

Hacking would only normally be attempted when you were on-line (either via dial-up or broadband) via your IP address. Not usually via dialling in. Not since the 1980's anyway....

Hence the reference above to a firewall.

Y'arrr

Oh brother.
    There are no such things as ghosts, only clumsy ninjas.

Godfather, are you saying that someone can (possibly) get into my computer while I am useing it. And ,say, read my files.
    My comp is on all day, so for all I know there could be hackers noseing around. I have noticed on several occasions that my computer working flat out. I have always assumed that it is just windows sorting itself out. As soon as I move the mouse it stops and by the time the monitor wakes up there is nothing on screen.
    I don't particularly care if someone wants to read my files. There's nothing secret there. But I assume a virus could be planted. Would a virus get past Norton auto protect?
    Another question. When my computer is turned off,overnight, could someone still acess it through my ADSL modem which I never turn off.
    Jack

Keeping it simple Jack, if you do not have an effective firewall, whenever you are on line it is possible for the bad guys out there to access your computer and infest it with trojans etc. They do this by bulk-scanning IP addresses for open ports.

They would be more interested in using your computer to propogate their particular brand of mayhem than to simply install a virus.

So, you need inwards and outwards firewall protection; inwards to hide your computer from their probes, and outwards to stop your computer responding, or if you are infected, from sending out data (whatever that may be).

On dial-up, protection is best provided by a software firewall such as Zone Alarm. Note that this is not the same as having an Anti-Virus program, they are two distinctly separate functions.

On broadband connections (Jetstream, cable, wireless etc) further protection in addition to a software firewall is advisable and can be obtained with a hardware firewall, or by hiding behind a NAT ADSL Router which prevents access to your computer from outside.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

I have a firewall built into my modem, but it stopped me sending or receiving e-mail. I phoned the modem people and they told me not to use it as it doesn't work with SP2. They said win xp sp2 was all I needed .
    Jack

Win SP2 firewall is good at stopping things getting in.

If they are already in though, it has no effect on them getting out, they are free to use your system outwards.

Nothing and nobody can access your computer over the connection if the computer is turned off though, irrespective of the ADSL connection being on. When it is turned off, it is only a box full of components, it's not a computer and provides no access to anything.