Question help with CD-rewritable

I want to by a CD-burner and need same advise. Is an internal or external better? what could be recommanded? i have a IBM netvista computer and want a midddle priced ( 100.-NZ$ ) item. thanks for help

Default Re: help with CD-rewritable

External is OK, but can sometimes stuff up when burning, and it helps if u have either USB2 onboard or firewire. Anything but these it'll most probably be too slow. External can also be dearer ( a lot dearer than $100)

Internal is better, BUT you have to open the computer case, to install it and have a spare ide / power connection to hook it up. Not a good idea, if you dont know what you're doing! BUT its not that hard.

You can by an internal 52x or under for just over/under $100 inc GST.

Or even better a DVD-burner (which stores more on it than a CD-writer) for around $160-$200. A DVD burner will burn DVD's and CD's.

Hi Barb, and welcome to PressF1.

You can get a good quality internal drive for less than $60 nowadays (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-t...ame=CD+writers). The only thing with internal drives it that you have to open up your computer and install it (as Speedy mentioned), which can be a bit scary for some, but is actually quite easy.

Otherwise DVD writers are as cheap as $70 (http://qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?100594), and can burn CDs and DVDs, as well as play both CDs and DVDs.

External drives aren't "better" as such, but they don't require you to open up your case. You may find that it becomes an extra thing on your desk to create clutter etc.

Firstly decide howmuch capacity you need:

CD = 700Mbytes
    DVD single layer = 4.7Gbytes
    DVD dual layer = 8.5Gbytes

I have just upgraded from a CD writer (that would not go with my new OS) to a dual layer DVD that I am very happy with (NEC ND3520A dual layer for $181).
    # Linux kernel on:
    - Desktop
    3.0GHz AMD A8-3870
    - ASUS Eee 1001PX
    - Samsung S3 Mini Smart Phone
    - Raspberry Pi