Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default norton antivirus2005 vs avg free edition

hi new to forum have run norton anti virus for years someone told me avg was better so downloaded it updated both antivirus lists then ran both and avg picked up 4 viruses/trogan horses that norton hadnt is this usual?
    at present i have both programs running is there any problems running both at once (sounds wierd to me)which program do most forum users prefer (ive just updated to norton 2005 so not keen to have another subscription to avg )
    comp is running xp pro with dial up modem
    thanks in advance peter

Default Re: norton antivirus2005 vs avg free edition

Do not run both.

You can get an unseen conflict as they both act on a virus, and they can then both fail to operate correctly.

Choose 1 and stay with it.

petil, yes this is usual.

Although, they may not be viruses but Malware instead that it's picking up, but still Nortons should consider this don't you think? Dialers aren't considered viruses by Nortons, but AVG considers them Trojans, I find AVG does it's job acceptable and performance wise is better. However Nortons uses more performance for added protection against viruses, it's realtime scanning is more indepth. Either way, both are known to do their job, AVG does a bit more than required, Nortons, digs further when searching but doesn't capture Malware.

I've now come to a conclusion that the software needed to fix these types of problems is, Firewall, Antivirus, Trojan Remover (does better when faced with trojans) and Spyware cleaners. There's probably more, but this should be the basics, others I would suggest are Registry Monitors, Network Monitors, File Monitors but this is probably on an advanced level or higher paranoia level.

Kame.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Ive noted similar experiences to Kames and would recommend AVG 7 Free Edition
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

as in pull the

avg picked up 4 viruses/trogan horses that norton hadnt is this usual?

In my experience this is normal performance for Nortons

as a general rule a paid ativirus is generally more feature filled and "better" than any free antivirus.

i havn't really seen nortons perform better or worse than AVG, however 95% of problems with nortons comes from lack of updateing, the other 5% is from nortons bugs. with the amount of non-virus related problems with nortons i've seen laetly i would be inclined to ditch it. AVG is fine for medium-small net users.
    Tweak it till it breaks

It's annoying none of these virus programs can prevent Spyware or Premium rate dialers. So you have to buy other software

I disagree that 'paid' av progs are generally better than the free ones........on several occasions i've seen avg pick up nasties that norton missed......

Quote Originally Posted by drcspy
    I disagree that 'paid' av progs are generally better than the free ones........on several occasions i've seen avg pick up nasties that norton missed......
    I agree aswell.

Its like the premium rate dialer block that block these phonecalls, active x and spyware. This is free and it is perfect for people that get preium rate numbers on their phone bill without knowing the computer has dialed to this number. This is what you call decent FREEWARE!
    PC_Doctor
    Experienced IN WINDOWS XP

lol.........however re your previous comment as to having to buy more software to block spyware etc..........nope you dont.......there are a number of very good programs out there that you dont need to buy to block this crap.....also it's quite often the case that people get suckerd into buying 'antispyware' progs because some of these programs actually scan your pc but then put 'false positives' into their scan result report to goad you into thinkin you need to pay to remove them.........