Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Kid That Got Picked Last

Question Building A new PC, maybe I shouldve let the pros do it?????

Ok, here goes:
    Abit AS8 (82)865PE Chipset - socket 775
    Kingston ValueRAM 512 Dual (2x 256)
    Nvidia GeForce 5600 128mb "MAD DOG"
    Intel P4 (520(i think)) 2.8ghz HT
    PSU (350w) - also american so 115v standard
    --if more info is needed let me know--
    there is no OS but MSwinXP is intended when it works

I did quite a bit of research before attempting to build the computer but i had never had any hands-on experience. I put the mobo in and connected all of the bare neccessities and started it. It worked fine (beeped for lack of power but i let it go knowing i would fix it later no prob). I then added the Video Card and all of the smaller cables, usb/firewire card, etc. etc. Start it back up (fixed power) beeps like crazy with no pattern and no viable post/award code (dunno diff between them) the code keeps changing and the mobo continues to beep like crazy.

Now Abit assumes a beeping with no pattern is almost always involving the memory so i troubleshoot the memory and even call a kingston rep (speaking to "lvl 2 tech" later today for specifics and mobo help) they were nice and helpful but still nothing worked.

The only viable post code is the startup and close.

ALSO-It turns itself off after about 20 secs and i CANNOT make it to the BIOS screen at all because nothing displays on the monitor. I should not have forgotten that part :P

I thought I had cleared the CMOS but reading some of the posts on pressF1 i realized that theres more to it than just changing the jumper. So CMOS is a possibility i guess.

I'm almost completely sure that it is not:
    Power Supply
    Processor

If have no suggestion could you list a link to a "Do it yourself" computer builders guide if you aware of a good one or one that you, yourself have used.

I am at school right now so i will not be able to try these suggestions for another 6 hrs

Thanks so much for your help

Default Re: Building A new PC, maybe I shouldve let the pros do it?????

1. The main thing, is to follow the mobo manual. With the connections to the motherboard.

2. Especially with P4's, remember to get a power supply with a 4 pin ATX12v connection. If it hasnt got this. It wont go. As most P4's mobos have an
    ATX 12v socket. (Which is square, and this has 4 pins).

It isnt there as an ornament, or to look at. It is required.

To power the CPU / give it a bit of juice. Some people DO forget to connect this plug to the motherboard socket. And wonder why nothing works / the system doesnt turn on.

3. Assemble the mobo, outside the case (put the CPU, and ram on the mobo, before u put it in the case, they're easier to insert on the mobo, when outside the case). Then put the mobo in the case.

4. Don't rush it. If you think you're good at assembling systems, you maybe wrong. If you rush, you're liable to screw things up.

I've never assembled an AMD system, BUT it's most probably similar to assembling a P4 system.

Speaking from experience.
    Make sure that you have not bent or broken a pin fitting the CPU. I got much the same symptons as you with broken pins.
    Jack

+1031 from old forum :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JJJJJ
    Speaking from experience.
    Make sure that you have not bent or broken a pin fitting the CPU. I got much the same symptons as you with broken pins.
    Jack
    Generally, if you've never built a PC before, it'll be the best idea to ask whoever you buy the parts from to install the CPU/heatsick onto the motherboard for you -assuming you go instore and buy them. Installing the CPU is not hard, it is the heatsink that many people find difficulties with.

Off to work, will be back later on today to post a bit more.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Speedy Gonzales raised some good points....

I agree its best to let somebody else put the Heatsink on first time, so much scope for error...

If you have another PC you have access to, I would suggest you grab memtest86:
    http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip
    Its only a 1MB Download of a CD Image, but if you Burn it and boot it on a PC while you've got your RAM in it, you can test your RAM.

I would suggest you remove the RAM and re-seat it.
    You have no display ATM so take out your Graphics card, add it later

Remove your HDD's and Optical Drives, they're not neccesary for now.

Let us know if the beeping then stops once the RAM has been reseated (Do it after you've pulled out the rest of the cables & agp card).

Cheers

Chill.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Kid That Got Picked Last

ok just fiddlin around but i DID get the bios menu to come up it just goes off in about 20 secs NOW i think and am almost sure it is heatsink related the processor gets very hot

abit has a program (nGuru) that is new to me but it is built in with the motherboard and it detects hazards such as temp and everything else. im pretty sure its a safety net power down because of hi running temps

I also believe this because the warmer the processor the shorter the time before auto shut down. i will have to order a newer/better heatsink and i will know then.

If you disagree let me know for i will not order the heatsink until tommorow maybe you guys can save me some grief.

Thanks again

Get it looked at,Someone with the relivent know-how will tell you in 20 odd seconds if your guess is correct.
    better Dredd then dead

VIP

I think you might have the heatsink seated the wrong way around. Make sure the raised part is in tune with the raised part of the CPU mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyks
    ok just fiddlin around but i DID get the bios menu to come up it just goes off in about 20 secs NOW i think and am almost sure it is heatsink related the processor gets very hot

abit has a program (nGuru) that is new to me but it is built in with the motherboard and it detects hazards such as temp and everything else. im pretty sure its a safety net power down because of hi running temps

I also believe this because the warmer the processor the shorter the time before auto shut down. i will have to order a newer/better heatsink and i will know then.

If you disagree let me know for i will not order the heatsink until tommorow maybe you guys can save me some grief.

Thanks again

NO you shouldnt' need another heatsindk if theone you used is the one supplied with the cpu.........the standard heatsink should be fine........did you install it properly is the main issue........

Kid That Got Picked Last

Exclamation Re: Building A new PC, maybe I shouldve let the pros do it?????

The heatsink was an old one from a friend, this 'overheating' assumption just led me to buy what i shouldve bought anyways. I will repost in about 4-5 days after ive installed but i found a good buy at newegg.com rated up to 4.4ghz... another question tho, if no one minds.... Can the processor be too cool? or do you only worry about low temps in a "cold boot" situation?

Thanks again for help so far... i have determined that the memory, optical drives, hard drive, and video card all work/are detected with no problem. This was hard because i only had about 20 secs to check the bios and cmos setup. lol

Sadly, if it is not the heatsink, the only thing left is the mobo. And i have done a barebone -out of case- startup and experienced same prob.

Thx,
    Onyks