Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dead

Default Best Wireless Access Point

Hi all

I am looking for a new access point to complement my new Jet Stream connection , since we already have jet stream and the Router we don't need it to be a Adsl modem as well. Our wireless speed is 54mbps , with one pcmcia card for the laptop and one pci card for the pc,. I am looking for one with a switch , good encription and good range. My limit is $200 and i am currently looking at the Linksys WRT54G for $170.

Thanks
    Amd Xp 2800 , GIGABYTE GA-7N400 Pro , 1024 Megs DDR 400 ram in DC , Soon to be 128meg 9600xt ultra. 420w Enermax noisetaker , 80gig hdd

Default Re: Best Wireless Access Point

I havent looked at that model, but you can get gear that will go up to 108Mbs now.

insomniac maximus

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99
    I havent looked at that model, but you can get gear that will go up to 108Mbs now.
    This is true, but most AP's offering speed++5000XP.net boosters do so by hogging more frequency. They also tend to tie you into one vendor - eg you need a Dlink AG+wopbopaloobop PC-Card to take advantage of an AG+wopbopaloobop AP. Got a netgear card? Tough cheese sonny. As unlicensed spectrum is a finite resource, promoting these products is not so good.

The one exception to this is Linksys' Speedbooster, which stays on one channel and offers up to a 35% increase regardless of whether your client card is explicitly speedbooster compatible or not. Got a Linksys speedbooster capable pc-card? Great. Got a netgear non-speedbooster card? You should still see a difference...

For best range, you want a Senao 3054AP3 Aries2, at $195 incl GST. For the best all round package, you want the Linksys WRT54GS (make sure it's a GS, yes, with the S on the end, not a G, a GS. PS: GS )

The WRT54GS is the speedbooster model, it has double the ram and double the firmware space of the WRT54G, and is often just 10-20 bucks more.
    Unleash the opensauce:The OpenCD
    For the self respecting techie:UBCD

Linksys make really good quality gear; I have had a lot of their stuff and have been very satisfied. Easy to configure and good support too either by web or 0800 numbers.

BTW, you may like to check the web site for Ascent Technology as a supplier. They have the model suggested by whetu for $194.49 so that would be within your budget.
    Last edited by John H; 16-01-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Dead

ok , with the ap above wilkl the genius pci/pcmcia cards ( 54mbps ) work well as they are much cheaper then the lynksys ones
    Amd Xp 2800 , GIGABYTE GA-7N400 Pro , 1024 Megs DDR 400 ram in DC , Soon to be 128meg 9600xt ultra. 420w Enermax noisetaker , 80gig hdd

insomniac maximus

They'd work ok, but remember - you get what you pay for.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

If you get a booster antennae, then it matters a whole lot less what branded cards you get for the 'clients'.

I agree, those routers are damn fine! Going to be getting one myself shortly, same model, same place!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

VIP

Linksys WRT54G is by far the best. If you have a V2, there is a firmware upgrade which adds plenty of features usually only in $500 plus routers....

Running a 700m link with two and love it (except for the crappy WDS bandwidth)

Ash

insomniac maximus

Quote Originally Posted by Ash M
    Linksys WRT54G is by far the best.
    Except the WRT54GS has double the firmware space, meaning even betterer third party firmware. For 10-20 bucks more it just makes sense dont you agree?

VIP

Quote Originally Posted by whetu
    Except the WRT54GS has double the firmware space, meaning even betterer third party firmware. For 10-20 bucks more it just makes sense dont you agree?

Nope. Currently WRT54G does have less space, but the current firmware is exactly the same. And WRT54G's can use all of the GS's features with the new firmware - including SpeedBooster