Thread: effie c

Default effie c

Hi,everyone,
    this is the first time I have used the new F1 forum- had to ask advice, first cos I was too dumb too work it out
    In the old FAQ there was talk of whether XP firewall was sufficient to keep safe, inwards and outwards.
    Then, comment was made, that to load, sic., Zonealarm ---might conflict with XP--- believe me , it does-XP promptly switches off it's"preferred security setting", in favour of Zonealarm.
    As I have a very slow CPU the start up, etc is even more delayed while Zonealarm sets itself up- so I uninstalled Z A in favour of, theoretically the preferrable program of XP security, if Microsoft are to be believed.
    A friend tells me that he has another backup, like ZA, that is compatible, and XP does not get sulky and switch off.
    Godfather used to say that I cannot send out as a secure site just using XP whereas I can with Z A
    What is the better way to go-- I have absolutely no hesitation in saying my computer has no greebies to cause harm- I know- I check and recheck
    this being the case, is an "outsider", firewall, worth the install and subsequent delay in fireing up at the start?

effie c

Default Re: effie c

Thesedays you cannot be to careful. The Windows XP Firewall does stop a few things, but does not place any restriction on outgoing programs (from your computer to the internet).
    I also have found ZoneAlarm to be slow. I have made the switch to Sygate Personal Firewall which is faster to load and easy to use.

Y'arrr

You might want to edit your profile, having your home address listed next to every post probably isn't the greatest idea.

Also might be useful to title threads with something related to your query, rather than your name.
    There are no such things as ghosts, only clumsy ninjas.

Hi Effie,

Welcome to the new forum.

If you are still on dialup and don't spend hours online all the time then the Windows firewall will probably be quite sufficient for your needs. As you are using Win XP I take it that you have Service Pack 2 installed by now?

As said previously, it won't stop trojans calling home if one manages to get on your system behind your back (and my firewall has several times been the only alert that I have had to this happening) but the risk is reasonably minor for careful users.

If you want to try another firewall you could give Outpost, Sygate or Kerio a go rather than ZA.

I also endorse what Ninja said about having your home address in your profile - it would be a good idea to remove it.

Cheers,
    Susan B

Y'arrr

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyMX
    Cheers,
    Susan B
    That's who you are :@@:
    There are no such things as ghosts, only clumsy ninjas.

Default Re: firewall

Thank you those who have helped- I really must be naive- I am having serious spam problems- possibly because long long ago I did put my address online in F1-
    I am as I write this downloading sygate and changinging my profile-
    effie c

Pedant and proud of it

Google is very effective. Can't it be kept out of the profile areas?

Effie, your birthday is Jun 1st. I know where you live.

"effie c" gives that as the first link.