Default Anyone use a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE Drive Adaptor?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has used this adaptor and it's been successful, it's to convert a 44pin IDE Laptop Hard Drive so that it can be used on a 40pin desktop PC.

I'm not sure what to expect, whether my bios can detect this sort of drive or whether I have to manually set drive parameters. So far auto-detect hasn't worked, I just have to search and see if I can find the drive parameters.

The hard drive maybe faulty, which is what I'm trying to determine. I know the cable is connected correctly because the drive has power and spins. I currently lent my laptop out to my girlfriend while she's down south so I couldn't test it in there, which is why I bought this adapter to try.

Thanks in advance,

KK

Default Re: Anyone use a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE Drive Adaptor?

It's IDE, just like normal IDE but smaller.

In other words, it's a small IDE drive with a different connector BUT same interface.

So it will be detected in every same way that a 3.5" drive is.

44 pins = 40 pin IDE + 4 pin power
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'vbulletin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Y'arrr

Bought one from DSE, used it, worked perfectly, is still in use in a friends system.

Well worth the money to reuse the drive in a normal desktop PC. Replacement Laptop HDD's aren't too expensive nowdays.

You shouldn't have to change anything in the BIOS.
    There are no such things as ghosts, only clumsy ninjas.

You wouldn't imagine what lengths I went to, to get this from DSE. Their online store had none, the places listed were far away from me.

There was only 1 left at the store I went to, also was interested in a Multifunction Printer and they said they showed 1 in stock yet they couldn't find it, they told me of other stores that had it, I told them if they could ring to find out.

They rang and discovered they didn't have it either. Then they suggested they could order one in, in which I would need to pay a 10% deposit. I thought since they were showing 1, shouldn't they have 1 in stock to replace the missing one?

I told them I wouldn't ask them to order it in as if I was going to order one, I'd probably get it through the online store and have them deliver it to me or a store closer to me. Although I know a place that's selling it way cheaper than they are and I'm not so certain whether they'd want to match the price.

Glad they still had the adaptor instock, else I might have been better going down south and getting my laptop.

KK