Default System restore Win XP

Hi there! Had to get more space on HD and uninstolled Office Prof of 450Mb, assuming that at will encrease memory by the same 450Mb. It only gave me additional 200Mb. Then when used sys restore, it restored Office back, even when I did not need it. That means it was not removed completely, probably compressed and in Archive. The free memory on C disk during time was decreasing, just desappearing.

I assume that Sys restore holds things that may be unnecessary and eats into memory, like a cancer!

What you say?

Default Re: System restore Win XP

System restore, by default, uses 6% of the drive Windows XP is installed on. This can be changed under 'System Restore' tab in System propereties.

Quote Originally Posted by Davesdad
    System restore, by default, uses 6% of the drive Windows XP is installed on. This can be changed under 'System Restore' tab in System propereties.
    Actually by default System Restore can use to up 12% of the free space on the hard drive.

As Davesdad mentioned, you can change this 12% to half to prevent XP using too much spare space. Another good way of a quick purge of old Restore Points, is to use Disk Cleanup > Advanced button and select to remove all but the last restore point. Only do this if your machine is stable and you don't need to go back beyond the last restore point. The restore points will soon build up again, so you can purge them again when necessary.

I noticed that you were referring to hard drive space as Memory, which is completely different to disk space. Very basicaly, memory is RAM which is used to hold running applications data so that it can be accessed quickly, rather than sourcing it off the hard drive which is slower. Some programs require a lot of RAM like graphic work, so that if you have insufficient free RAM available you may need to close down some other applications to free it up, and you may get a Virtual Memory error.

Are you trying to clean up some room on your hard drive because you are getting Memory errors?

Golden Oldie

Reducing the space used by System restore is a good move, but often results in not enough new Restore points. It's a good idea to check this regularly and insert a manual Restore point where necessary. Can be a lifesaver!

Hi there!
    Thanks to all! I already was thinking about deleting partitions to utilise free space, but was afraid it being riski. Will try to cleen sys restore first. Thanks again.
    Last edited by taly; 13-01-2005 at 11:55 AM.