Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member -- my ass

Default File Manager Utility

Heya all,

I need / want / require a file manager utility that has the same functionality as Windows Explorer (XP) but shows the actual size that each directory is using.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: File Manager Utility

A file manager I have been using for some years now is PowerDesk. This used to be a free utility but it is now only available at cost. Have a look at this link:
    http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Pro_Home.html

like this http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/link
    Its a xtree gold clone Be care xtree gold was very unforgiving to the "opps didnt mean to that" in other words xtree gold gave you no secound chances.
    Trust me. I know what I'm doing.Sledge Hammer

Linux the only way to get rid of the windows boot sector virus ( Geoff Palmer , Jun 28, 2004 Tips & Help : Tux Love, PCWorld NZ)

Parkinsons NZ

Quote Originally Posted by beama
    xtree gold was very unforgiving to the "opps didnt mean to that" in other words xtree gold gave you no second chances.
    As a long time Xtree Gold user, I have to disagree beama. Xtree was very forgiving because it had an undelete function built in (and appropriately named "Oops").

The true Xtree replacement is Ztree which is available Here .

Unlike the example you suggested, it is a mature product that is an almost key-for-key replica of Xtree Gold, but with additional enhancements. I have used it for several years and find it 100% reliable. It has never faulted on me once and I wouldn't be without it. It has saved my bacon many times and is fantastic for finding lost files, multiple instances of files and anything else a good file manager should do.

The only feature missing is the Oops undelete function(which may have been added in the latest releases because it was in the pipeline a year or so back), and you also have to configure your own file compression preference, though it can handle all of the common formats.

You can even email the developer with questions or suggestions and he will actually answer!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Thanks for the correction Billy Ill look for that opps function, never seen it before I agree that link was the first one that poped up on a google search.
    Trust me. I know what I'm doing.Sledge Hammer

Linux the only way to get rid of the windows boot sector virus ( Geoff Palmer , Jun 28, 2004 Tips & Help : Tux Love, PCWorld NZ)

Parkinsons NZ

JDiskReport is a freebie and is excellent - the best little program I have come across.

http://www.jgoodies.com/index.html

" JDiskReport enables you to understand how much space the files and directories consume on your disk drives, and it helps you find obsolete files and folders.

The tool analyses your disk drives and collects several statistics which you can view as overview charts and details tables.

This is ad- and nag-free uncrippled binary multi-platform software that is free of charge and that never expires. "

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics
    are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

~ Bertrand Russell

That looks like a very useful adjunct to ZTree Steve.

The main attributes of ZTree are its speed and file search ability. It allows searching within files and is so much faster than any Windows option. Hex editing is also included, which I find useful as well. Grafting directories and other data manipulation features are strong points that Windows cannot match.

If you take a look at the program linked by Beama you will find another link to an English site for XTree devotees that explains many of the documented and undocumented features.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Obelix, Billy T, et. al.,

Forgot to mention that J Disk Report displays results in graphical form - you can choose pie or bar graphs. For me, this makes viewing the results easy.

Steve_L

Billy T,

To clarify: does Z Tree actually look within files while doing a search? Which kind of files? text only? Includes PDF? Is it a freebie or $$ ?

I have not gone beyond the main page (of the link you gave).... the display looks like DOS !

Anything that is better than Windows Search is of interest to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_L
    To clarify: does Z Tree actually look within files while doing a search? Which kind of files? text only?
    The usual procedure is to log the disk, then set the filespec for the type of file you want to search inside. Tag the file (or all files of that type) select search, set the search criteria (usually a key word or phrase) and hit enter. It takes longer to describe than it takes to do. Logging 3.3GB of files on my C: drive takes about seven seconds including the time taken to open the program.

Includes PDF? Is it a freebie or $$ ?
    It can look inside most files, but PDF would need a viewer and I don't know if one has been developed yet. It is free for a trial period, after that it keeps reminding you that you really ought to buy it. It is so good I willingly paid, and one payment is it, future updates are free.

I have not gone beyond the main page (of the link you gave).... the display looks like DOS !
    Anything that is better than Windows Search is of interest to me.
    Yes, it does looks like DOS, that is because it has no frills, it is just incredibly flexible and efficient, and blindingly fast. If you like your utilities delivered in sugar coated, no thinking required, windows look-alike packages it is not for you.

For more user comments and testimonials, take a look Here.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)