Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Let the Exploiters in, then charge to catch them??

On Safari

Default Re: Let the Exploiters in, then charge to catch them??

Did you really expect anything else ?
    Just another way that MS can call home daily via it's software and drag more money out of it's users at the same time. The beta is free but not likely to stay that way.
    They don't have a new OS to sell so as a business they have to sell something even if it's just another type of patch for all the holes.
    Free AVG still works well on my XP so no worries there, not that it goes online often. I much prefer my Mac that doesn't pick up all the crap written for Windows..
    Take care out there.
    MacBook Pro ~ OSX 10.7 ~ 32g iPad 2 ~ XT Mobile Broadband.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

I hear you Sue! Isnt ignorance bliss..... Oh how I miss the daily spyware/virus scans, defrags, scandisks, and windows updates...

Its great though that Microsoft can see its become a problem, possibly more-so than Viruses!
    And Spy-Net seems like a great idea too, although possibly a little over-rated,
    Perhaps because nobody knows the OS like Microsoft, they'll offer tighter integration into the OS and prevent certain things that competitors cant.

Chill.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

blank space

I don't like the sound of that because at the moment the 'partnership' of MS's flaky and expensive OSs and the freebie spyware and fixit programs works pretty well provided you keep at it. Imagine when MS anti-spyware is an integral part of the OS and can't be removed and it is forever picking up definitions in other anti-spyware and trying to thrash them. *sigh*

Leave well enough alone MS.

I agree though that they should work harder in the first place to prevent this sorta thing from happening. Internet Explorer is just begging for troubles! My family have had so much less spyware since using Firefox... They somehow still manage to type in the odd URL into the Address bar of Doze and end up getting infected with MWS.

Chill.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:

Theorist Mastermind

Technically Linux does actually suffer from fragmentation, it just takes a whole lot longer for it to get to a bad level.

It's always interested me how Linux could completely avoid fragmenting files, and when you think about it it's possible to decrease it, but you can't get rid of fragmentation completely.

Admittedly Reiser4 does the best job of avoiding all this, what with it being theoretically unbreakable.....

Pedant and proud of it

It is possible, and easy, to avoid file fragmentation completely. You just get a "full" disk fairly quickly (as soon as there isn't a free space big enough for a file) . It probably wouldn't be too difficult to do with the very big modern disks, if you reserved a big minimum free space block. The consolidation of free space (disk defragmentation) would be a very fast process, and could be done automatically. Of course, there would be little chance of recovering deleted files. Of course, I never delete files by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue
    Did you really expect anything else ?
    Just another way that MS can call home daily via it's software and drag more money out of it's users at the same time. The beta is free but not likely to stay that way.
    They don't have a new OS to sell so as a business they have to sell something even if it's just another type of patch for all the holes.
    Free AVG still works well on my XP so no worries there, not that it goes online often. I much prefer my Mac that doesn't pick up all the crap written for Windows..
    Take care out there.
    Well at least i'm not the only one who can see through this all the M/S victims may be harder to convince.

The comments on lack of products prompting this as well as the other poster mentioning deliberate M/S built in inconpatability, are apt, and remind me of the alterations to 95b and 98 to prevent netscape running well.

and also the older "Dos ain't done untill Lotus wont run" Redmond Mantra.

I found The section on subscription o/s worring with its longterm Microworld domonation angle.

I think MS is in decline re it's monopoly. Being so huge it will take a very long time to fade away, but the process has started. Vince