Post Partitonmagic 8 problem

i newly installed partition magic 8 from symantec in my pc. one of the tools of this software was to install another operating system in the pc. I was currently running win xp pro then I used this tool to install another operating system win me in my pc.

I wanted to install win me beacause my scanner does not run on xp pro . The tool helped me in steps with tips to install win me. I fully understood the steps to install win me. Me and my mate who is an computer technician installed win me. After insatalling win me pc rebooted itself to finish installation. Now here is the problem. There was no option for xp pro. The pc only loads me. Then i rebooted some times that there was only win me no xp pro and all my c drive data was lost. Previously my mate did the same thing with this software on his pc he got to choose to wheter to run xp pro or me. My pc config. is P4 1.6 processor 256SD Ram 40gb HD. Rescuse Me.

Default Re: Partitonmagic 8 problem

Whats it say in boot.ini??

My computer/properties/advanced/startup and recovery/settings/ 1st option/edit?

Quote Originally Posted by polo
    i newly installed partition magic 8 from symantec in my pc. one of the tools of this software was to install another operating system in the pc. I was currently running win xp pro then I used this tool to install another operating system win me in my pc.
    Best way would have been to install Win Me first and then Win XP as then the option would have been their. The other way to do it would have been to create 2 Primary Partitions with 1 hidden and have an operating system on each and use Boot Magic or some other Boot Manager to select which Partition to unhide/hide each boot.

Without specific details on how you did it in Partition Magic it would be hard to help as there is several different ways to end up with the same result and you may have indeed lost XP.

As Windows ME isn't XP aware it would have overwritten the boot sector of your drive so that the system no-longer sees XP as being an Operating System. I think the only way to get XP into the boot system again is to boot from the XP CD, start the recovery console, and run either fixboot or fixmbr (there might be others there that will do the job?) and then restart, and hopefully the XP boot record will have been restored.

You might then need to tell XP about the ME install so that it is added to the boot.ini file, but that is another step altogether...

Mike.
    what are you doing looking in here?

Bowling Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by polo

I wanted to install win me beacause my scanner does not run on xp pro . The tool helped me in steps with tips to install win me. I fully understood the steps to install win me. Me and my mate who is an computer technician installed win me. After insatalling win me pc rebooted itself to finish installation. Now here is the problem. There was no option for xp pro. The pc only loads me. Then i rebooted some times that there was only win me no xp pro and all my c drive data was lost. Previously my mate did the same thing with this software on his pc he got to choose to wheter to run xp pro or me. My pc config. is P4 1.6 processor 256SD Ram 40gb HD. Rescuse Me.
    To avoid problems with multiboot Windows OS they have to be installed in order of age. To sort out your problem. Have you got Partition Magic installed on Windows ME. If not do it. Then create a small Fat16 partition (30 to 50 MB is enough) on the end of the drive. Install Boot Magic on it. Create a shortcut and put it on your desktop. Open Boot Magic and disable it. Untick the box bottom left. Run the WindowsXP CD rescue and Run FIXMBR. You should now be able to boot into Windows XP. Install Partition Magic on Windows XP if it is not there already. Go to My Computer and you should see the Boot Magic partition you created in WindowsME. Put a shortcut on your XP desktop. Start Boot Magic, Go back to Partition Magic, Rightclick on the Windows ME partition on the menu select convert, if the button next to Primary partition is white then click on it to change it to Primary Partition. Click OK. Rightclick on the ME partition again from the menu select Advanced it may be Greyed Out, if so go to the next step, if not select Unhide. Next step, exit Partition Magic go back to Boot Magic, Enable Boot Magic tick bottom left, click Add and you should see WindowsME. if not tick Advanced bottom left and you should see the partition it should have Pri-1 alongside if not you may have to retrace your steps.
    Next step. Click options at the top and there shoul be a tick along side of advanced partition hiding. Click Save & Exit then reboot and you should see your options.
    This is a lengthy process and may require several reboots that I havent included but you will get the prompts. Dont ignore them. Partition Magic works best when it only has one task to perform each boot. Post back if you have problems. Ive been through this process many times but I may have missed something.

Installing in OS order might be the best, but he already had XP installed and didn't want to wipe it (and his data) and reinstall after ME. He just wanted to add ME. I don't have the answer, but can understand why he didn't use the 'best' method.

Quote Originally Posted by wotz
    Installing in OS order might be the best, but he already had XP installed and didn't want to wipe it (and his data) and reinstall after ME. He just wanted to add ME. I don't have the answer, but can understand why he didn't use the 'best' method.
    The answer was as I said above. It is too late for him now but he should have created another primary partition just after the C drive to install ME into. Then use a boot manager program like Boot Magic 8 and boot into whichever OS he wanted.

what sort of scanner do you have?, you could download the latest drivers and that my make it work with your xp machine, or try a different driver for it, a standard one that xp provides

Smile Re: Partitonmagic 8 problem

You should install "Bootmagic" which is also on the Partitionmagic cd. Click your "start" button and use the "run" command to "browse" the cd until you come to "Bootmagic" setup.exe. You may need a 3 1/4" floppy if you want to creat a recovery disk. Anyway...after Bootmagic is installed, go to it (in your "programs") and click on the "Bootmagic Configuration." It will find all of the operating systems on your computer and let you decide which to make the default operating system etc. mike_ringler09@hotmail.com
    Reed City, Michigan