Angry Installation Issue: file 'hl2.ico1' can't be installed...

Hello, all. First time posting here. Here's my dilemma...

I've just received HL2 for X-mas today. I've tried to install it twice so far. Every time I get to CD #4, I get an error message, and the entire installation process is cancelled. Here's what's keeping me from enjoying my game:

"Error 1334. The file 'hl2.ico1' cannot be installed because the file can't be found in cabinet file 'hl24.cab'. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package."

Okay, the CD's are all clean as a whistle. My CD-ROM drive is perfectly fine, too. I looked for the hl24 file on CD #4 and found a zip file of the same name; inside I found that it contained stuff for CounterStrike. When I was doing the installation setup, I told it that I didn't want CS installed (I'm a tad tight for hard disk space). As far as I know, that shouldn't be the cause of my problems...

Any suggestions/threads that I could be directed to? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all, and happy merry Christma-Hannu-Kwanza!

Default Re: Installation Issue: file 'hl2.ico1' can't be installed...

Welcome to PressF1

You need to install the Counter Strike Source as well.

Have a look at this page .different game but same sort of problem ,the 2nd tip is the one.http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayn...ml/install.htm
    hth
    The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them. - Orson Scott Card (1951- ),

if its a new one, bring it back and get a new copy. i sure hope santa didnt get it from the warehouse becuase they dont accept software back, which is insane, even with the receipt

Talking Re: Installation Issue: file 'hl2.ico1' can't be installed...

As far as I know no shops takes software back because of people copying games and then wanting a refund to get another.Thats why they have signs up saying check your system specs. before buying.

Unless your a good talker and say it was a chirstmas present from mum/dad/grandma,who dont know anything about computers and got it for you as a present and just thought it was a "nice game for you to play and keep you out of trouble", "you know what mums/dads/grandmas are like dont you sir/madam?"

ps It might just work give it a go,try your luck,they can only say yes or no.

And remember to be polite,humble,aplogetic,and have poppy dog eyes,belive me it works especially if a female does it,ie,pay sister or someone to do it for you.But remember to give good instructions first....well she might not know much about p.c.'s as well as you.

I looked on the steam support page and it says that lots of people are having this problem and that you need to select the option to install counter-strike otherwise the install will not work. You can then uninstall it afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Prescott
    if its a new one, bring it back and get a new copy. i sure hope santa didnt get it from the warehouse becuase they dont accept software back, which is insane, even with the receipt
    Ah but the consumer guarantees act says it must be fit for the purpose for which it was sold. If it does not load onto the PC and run they are bound to replace it with a copy that does install and run.

This applies to all stores.

If you want to take it back and exchange it for a different game or a refund then that is a completely seperate issue.

Exclamation Re: Installation Issue: file 'hl2.ico1' can't be installed...

Just bought the same thing and had the same problem, though the cause of mine was a little more complex. I had the counter strike source which came with counter strike condition zero, because of this my half life 2 installation just flatly refused to install the counterstrike source off the cd (regardless of what I told it to do). To combat this, I uninstalled steam (through add remove programs in the control panel) and deleted the folder containing everything steam related.
    In retrospect I probably could have stuffed around with steam and just got rid of the Counter Strike Source bit, but meh it felt good to piss off steam off my computer after it caused me so much grief.
    After doing this half life 2 installed no problems at all (as well as counter strike source). So yeah, if you're a sucker that went out and bought the CDs (like me) even though you already had a steam account etc you get screwed over.
    <sarcasm>Thanks for the great install product Valve</sarcasm>, other than that Half Life 2 rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by memphis
    As far as I know no shops takes software back because of people copying games and then wanting a refund to get another.
    Electronics Boutique allow you to return games.

And in any case by law they are not allowed to refuse. Consumer Guarantees....

Hello Dear Friends,

I've made throught that problem. ;]
    Just little scripting.

Copy your first HL2 CD, or DVD on the Hard Drive.

Place This File in the main directory (Overwritting the old-bugged one):

http://rapidshare.com/files/108995601/hl2.msi.html

And feel free to install HL2 without signing CS:Source, and without hl2.ico1 error.

That was really not so hard to make

Greetings,
    Darkzax