Default Broadband connecting

I signed up for a jetstream connection through Ihug 19 days ago.I was told it would be connected by Telecom "within 10 working days". So far nothing has happened.
    After several unanswered e-mails to Ihug I got a message on Friday night saying they would check with Telecom this week.
    What I am wondering is do Telecom have to connect with me before the do anything? Or is all the work done at their end? I usually have my comp.connected to the net so my phone is normally engaged.
    Of course I wavered for three months before signing up and now that I have I expect instant service.
    One other thing I also ordered an IDSL modem from Ihug. They tell me they do not send the modem until Telecom have connected me. Can anyone think of a valid reason for this?
    Will I have my connection before Xmas? Or before Easter?
    Jack

as in pull the

Default Re: Broadband connecting

Jack, get some sleep will you, up and posting at 5.48am!!!!
    I guess ihug want to know that you actually can be connected before they send the modem. I have an idea that telecom may want to come to you to do a bit of work at your end but don't quote me on that. Good luck with getting connected. I am sure that when it happens it will happen quick.

as in pull the

I am also sure that you will keep us posted.

Junior Member -- my ass

Valid reason, no. Possible reason, they do not have them in stock.....

Telecom do no thave to do anything at your end, they just need to do something at the exchange end.

Hope you get it b4 Christmas....

Boldly Going Nowhere

Unless you've arranged to have a fixed splitter wired internally, the only thing telecom has to do is switch some wires round at the exchange. So no, no contact with you.

Re sending the modem, the only possible reason I could come up with is that they don't want calls to their helpline saying "I can't get online" when Telecom hasn't connected yet.

Let us know how you get on...
    --- Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool

I agree with sparticus, Telecom do not have to come to your house unless you requested their filter installation. From what I hear, it appears that Telecom is actually the holdup, allowing only 100 connections for each ISP per day, nationwide.

A friend had signed up with Orcon and after 7 weeks with no result, signed up with Xtra, and was connected within 2 weeks. Mind you, the free modem had something to do with him swapping as well. By the way, the modem arrived less than a week after signup with Xtra.