Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tux

Default please help, regards cooling

hi there,i am just in the process og putting my new computer together (hard earned ill tell ya that), its an Athlon 64 3000+, Gigabyte k8ns motherboard, Powercolour Radeon 9600xt 128mb, 120gb Seagate 7200rpm HDD, Nu Tech 16x DVD Writer, all in a psi Fairyland F1 Gamer Case, i have a few issues however, i have bee advised to put additional cooling in, at the back of my case is 2x 80mm fan spacings, the computer is for my room, and therefore i want it to be relatively quiet, but also cool, as i dont want it to melt as such, can any one advise of low noise fans please, also the speaker that i have to attach to the motherboard has a 4 pin connector (although it only has 2 wires, positive and negative), my motherboard however only has a bank of 3 pins, 2 are set aside for the speaker, and one for the system light (i think), how would i attach it?

Thanks a bunch in advance, im just not wanting to boot it up without everything being in tip top condition, this pc has cost me alot of money, i dont want to blow it, Thanks, Jared

Spout

Default Re: please help, regards cooling

Hi Tux. For the cooling, i recently bought a 80mm fan from Dick Smiths for about $17 or so. It's around 23db or so. You can spend 3 or 4 times that amound and only reduce the sound level a little.

As to the speaker wires, compare the motherboard manual with the one that came with the case.

Tux

how many would i need, as many as possible or just the two along witht the cpu cooler, also, should i have one sucking the other blowing or both the same

whetu

take a look on your motherboard, most modern mobos have a buzzer/speaker soldered right on there... so there's no point plugging in the case speaker. Rip it out of the case and throw it over the neighbour's fence - it's useless.

As for your fan question - only if you need them. fire up your rig, go into your BIOS and pay attention to the temperatures. If it's all good, install your OS of choice and get a temperature reporting application and use it.

If however your temps do get a little on the hot side, you might like to consider some silenx or panaflo fans.

*cue rush of differing fan opinions*

Seriously, the best fan for the role is judged on a case by case (pun?) basis, by the end user. Take what's suggested, research, and choose your fans based on a solid educated opinion.

Spout

One should suffice, blowing out. If you have 1 in near 1 out you'll only recirculate the new air that's just come in. If you really feel the need for 2 fans you can have one sucking at the front. Gigabyte motherboards come with EasyTune software that tells you what the CPU and system temps are - keep an eye on that for a few days.

Tux

one other quick question, when iwas installing the front audio connections, the cable had 2 ground connections, while my mb only had one pin, it also had a label on on ethat said "ret", i had no idea what it was, and my mb guide didnt say anything, so i just didnt plug it in

whetu

> how many would i need, as many as possible or just the two along witht >the cpu cooler, also, should i have one sucking the other blowing or both the >same

You'll want them blowing air out of the case, but take care not to get something too strong.. not only will it be noisy, but it will choke airflow to the HSF, a bit of an oversight of the ATX standard.

If you get such fans, you may find a drop in temperatures by flipping the fan on the HSF (the idea being that hot air is extracted through the HSF fins and thrown into the air stream "vortex" created by the case fans where it is in turn extracted directly out of the case)

Also, what kind of fingerguards do your casefan mounts have? You'll find an increase in airflow and a reduction in noise can be found by cutting out the fingerguards and using the standard wire fingerguards.

And finally, another thought.. you can get silicon pads that mount between the case and your fan, these reduce vibrations which in turn reduces noise. You can get the same product for your PSU as well...

Spout

> You'll want them blowing air out of the case, but
    > take care not to get something too strong.. not only
    > will it be noisy, but it will choke airflow to the
    > HSF, a bit of an oversight of the ATX standard.
    >
    > If you get such fans, you may find a drop in
    > temperatures by flipping the fan on the HSF (the idea
    > being that hot air is extracted through the HSF fins
    > and thrown into the air stream "vortex" created by
    > the case fans where it is in turn extracted directly
    > out of the case)
    >
    > Also, what kind of fingerguards do your casefan
    > mounts have? You'll find an increase in airflow and
    > a reduction in noise can be found by cutting out the
    > fingerguards and using the standard wire
    > fingerguards.
    >
    > And finally, another thought.. you can get silicon
    > pads that mount between the case and your fan, these
    > reduce vibrations which in turn reduces noise. You
    > can get the same product for your PSU as well...

I hope you don't mind if I take you to task here, Whetu. Hacking the case is a bit extreme, especially if he's not overclocking. There was some discussion here a few weeks ago regarding whether the CPU fan should blow onto the CPU or suck away from it. If I remeber correctly the consensus was that it should only blow onto the CPU if the heatsink was designed for that.

I tried the silicon mounts for the fan and for the PSU - about as much use as tits on a bull! While they seemed a good idea they made no noticable difference.

whetu

I dont think I was using imperitive language, instead I was going for the suggestive. If you read it differently, then I apologise.

Cutting out poorly designed fingerguards is not really extreme, and can be done irrespective of whether overclocking is being done or not. Again, I was making a suggestion, not a demand.

As for the HSF blow/suck debate, it's a case of try and find out which works best, again it depends on case by case. I never implied anything definate here, take note of my use of the word "may"

And finally for the silicon mounts, again this would depend on a case by case. Some cases are built solidly, so vibrational noise isnt so much of a factor, in which case the silicon mounts wouldnt be much use, other cases are built shabbily, so they vibrate a fair bit, in which case the silicon mounts may (there's that word again) provide some improvement.

The point I'm getting at is that everyone's cases/computers are different and nothing is definate until it's been experimented with and proven one way or the other by the end-user themselves.

george12

I learnt that the hard way Whetu. I won't be buying a $40 case (that INCLUDES the PSU) again!