Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jayal

Default Is A.V.G.working? - update

hope this isn't confusing, already made one cockup with the double post - first off my thanks to those replies - ran AVG in safe mode with this result

infected files detected -- 3
    removed by healing - 1
    moved to virus vault - 0
    still on drive - 2

opened the vault and sure enough there's two files there, so spose they must be the two referred to as being still on the drive and with one healed and "find files" showing nothing guess i must be clear

and to "jen" that site was also very helpful - was a topic "reg delete" which gave the entries for that virus in the respective keys to delete - AVG must've done its job 'cause the keys and values were clear

so fingers crossed and will be extra careful in future - thanks again guys (& gals?)

drcspy

Default Re: Is A.V.G.working? - update

no............when it says 'files still on drive' it means files still active on your system............I'm a bit amazed that it didn't remove them in safe mode........take a look at the report and see where it says they are it'll tell you exactly..........then go back to safe mode and delete those files.......

Susan B

I would strongly suggest that you give Stinger a run as just lately Stinger has been detecting viruses and trojans that AVG has missed.

Make sure you read the instructions in the link under No. 3 on that page if you have Win ME or XP.

PaulD

Do you recall which particular viruses etc. This seems odd, Stinger after all is only current to 19th Nov.

Susan B

Stinger picked up and cleaned W32/SirCam.dat, W32/Nachi!tftpd, some svchost.exe infected files, W32/Sdbot.worm.gen virus variants, scvhost32.exe, csrs.exe virus, Qhosts.apd.trojan, nice.exe, W32/sdbot.worm!ftp virus, to name just a few.

Right now I am having a devil of a job trying to send out several emails that AVG is "returning" to me as undeliverable. Others have been going through without a problem all day.

I am not amused. :-(

PaulD

AVG is a bit pedantic about email. It will bounce some as undeliverable that would normally just disappear without trace.

I am surprised about Stinger as it normally only targets the 40 - 50 most current nasties and as its current list is almost a month old I would have thought that AVG would be onto them by now. Is this on several PCs or just one?

Susan B

> AVG is a bit pedantic about email. It will bounce
    > some as undeliverable that would normally just
    > disappear without trace.

It is becoming a bit of a pain. I think I will give Avast a go.

> I am surprised about Stinger as it normally only
    > targets the 40 - 50 most current nasties and as its
    > current list is almost a month old I would have
    > thought that AVG would be onto them by now. Is this
    > on several PCs or just one?

Several PCs now. Surprised me too, because the old version used to leave nothing for Stinger.

jayal

Hi drcspy - becoming a bit of a mission, but to update - done all that in safe mode but there's no sign of the infected files - and i re-ran AVG a while ago getting the same result i.e. 3-1-0-2 - what about i reinstall the O/S? or open the most recent .cab file from "\sysbackup" and replace the "system.dat & user.dat"? - would either of those fix the problem? - i also ran "regclean & registry mechanic" for an all clear result - apparently there is no virus on my system but AVG insists there is!! - maybe i'll go mow the grass or play golf and they'll go away!

drcspy

hahhah........take a look in the avg program at the 'results' thing.......it'll tell you EXACTLY where the 'virus' is.............clik up avg then clik 'test center' then clik 'test results' then scroll down the list till you come to a result that says a virus is there.......then double clik that and you will get more info ........please tell us what it says........

jayal

this what you mean? drcspy?

Results of Complete Test, date and time 12/8/04 20:01:40 :

Testing C:\ serial 146D-14F0
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\MOZILLA\PROFILES\DEFAULT\JU791MW3.SLT\parent. lock Cannot open; not checked!
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\MOZILLA\PROFILES\DEFAULT\JU791MW3.SLT\CACHE\D BE53835d01:\bpkhk.dll Trojan horse PSW.Perfect.B
    Testing D:\ serial 14E7-2B28
    D:\RECYCLED\DD1.EXE:\bpkhk.dll Trojan horse PSW.Perfect.B
    D:\Zip Files\regclean.zip.exe repaired

Test finished, duration 00:30:29.8 s
    40159 objects tested, 3 found infected