Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Captive

Default The begining of the Compaign for Copyright Fairness?

Site: http://ipaction.org/blog/

Pretty interesting reading.

How many people think in a battle of:

'The People’ Vs ‘The Creators Monopoly’

That the people won?

Captive

Default Re: The begining of the Compaign for Copyright Fairness?

I would extremes can be bad, but then Who has the finances at present to 'balance' the equation? Does that not create an extreme?

Captive

Default Re: The begining of the Compaign for Copyright Fairness?

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,65651,00.html

Alpert also noted the entertainment industry's history of trying to stop the sale of VCRs, for fear of piracy. The device and the home video market turned into a boon for both consumers and the entertainment industry.

"We still have a long way to go," Boucher said. "The equation is still unbalanced."

Captive

Default Re: The begining of the Campaign for Copyright Fairness?

Sorry about the typos =/ i should have my glasses on oh well.

It's the big issue that interests me more here, not the little semantics.

If a compaign to were result though i would concur with people stating small things affect big things as they do even with this, but if one is to consider we all may have our flaws we can start focusing on issues which are important e.g. for the advancement of society.

Captive

Please note: I don't have enough stats.

But then what stats am i supposed to believe, and what information. that which comes from the associations that stand to gain? Would you expect it to be unbiased to ask a national party member or labour party member to make statements about other parties and consider where its against their interest for it to be unbiased?

Captive

http://australianit.news.com.au/arti...nbv%5E,00.html

Music piracy is not stealing. It is breaching copyright. All these analogies of "how would you like it if someone broke into your house and stole your TV?" are just plain wrong. A better analogy would be someone breaking into your house, scanning your TV, making an exact working duplicate and taking the duplicate away leaving you with your original working TV. Would you mind? (apart from the breaking in bit :-).

Captive

from ipaction.

"This was sort of a trial run to see if people will actually support candidates based on their intellectual-property policies, and they did," said Jason Schultz, an IPac volunteer. "We really felt there was a community out there that we could engage specifically on IP."

Alpert said IPac will research the records of legislators in Congress, provide people with information on how their legislators have voted, identify worthy candidates and help them with money and volunteers.

"I strongly support the effort IPac is making. It is important that a greater focus be brought to the need to balance the rights of copyright owners with the rights of the users," said Boucher, co-sponsor of the Digital Media Consumers' Rights Act (HR107), which would permit circumvention of digital locks on copyright content for non-infringing uses.

"The 1998 (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) makes it possible for creators of digital content to completely abolish fair-use rights with respect to that media," Boucher said. "The bill that I introduced ... would confirm fair-use rights for the digital era."

Boucher and his co-sponsor, Doolittle, are still in the process of collecting support to move the bill forward.

Boucher said that even though Hollywood and the record labels still have a lot of influence in Washington, consumers have gained ground since 1998. Now that the technology companies -- which believe tighter copy controls can chill innovation -- are aligned with consumer groups, there is a stronger presence for the public interest.

Does anyone have article references they want to add?

Captive

Default The equasion exists but i am not sure of the specifics. [Formula I mean]

(People disharmony * people) * reformcomputations*(Political interest -Corporate Bribery) = New Copyright laws?

I should really talk to someone who understand maths better *shrug*

Captive

Default Re: The equasion exists but i am not sure of the specifics. [Formula I mean]

that should be 'new copyright law logic'

but then its a very loose inaccurate theory

Catweazle

Default Re: The equasion exists but i am not sure of the specifics. [Formula I mean

I dunno. Stealing is stealing. I'm a musician. if someone nicks my songs, I'm out of pocket. It doesn't encourage me to produce anymore. If no one pays for the right to hear my music, how can I live?

Mind you, the greedy music labels who sit on their butts, doing nothing but raking in cash, telling artists what they must play (or be dropped like a hot stone), then grab a majority of the sales percentages, really make me angry as well. At least artists' managers have to show that they're earning their money. If they don't, they lose out as well.

Did you know that the average signed musician is lucky if they get paid $1 or so for every full price CD sold, unless they release independently?

You've hit a raw nerve, here. I don't know who to direct my ire towards. The people who steal music or the music labels responsible for putting them in that position, due to extortionist pricing.

I do agree that copyright issues have to be sorted out. At the moment, they only work in favour of the corporate media heavyweights. However, I also don't expect the public to have a 'free lunch' at my expense.