Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    migdale

Default Internet Security

I intend changing from a dialup connection to the broadband offered by Telecom.
    I believe that internet security is especially important with an "always on" connection.
    I currently run Norton Antivirus and Firewall 2002. On windows XP SP2.
    Since my Antivurus definitions are due to expire I was wondering what the best anti intrusion defence would be.
    The new ZoneAlarm security Suite looks interesting, and I am quite prepared to pay for the best protection that money can buy.
    Can Anyone give me advice please.

Chilling_Silence

Default Re: Internet Security

Great - Start with a nice Router! The D-Link 504g look incredibly good to me. Ive heard nothing but good reviews.
    You _want_ a router, and a good one. The D-Link has the ability to block IP ranges amongst other things and that sorta thing will do you good.

Anti-Virus. Ive found AVG Free-Edition gives frequent updates, so if you want to pay then AVG7 Pro is supposed to be even better than 6.0 Free Edition.

Spybot Search & Destroy will be good for Anti-Spyware.

Make _sure_ you keep windows Up-To-Date!!

These sort of precautions should still be taken, even on Dial-Up. How do you think Back.Orfice spread origionally!?!

Just remember some good practises, such as dont open attachments that you have _any_ doubts about... Better still - If somebody is offering you something, DONT open it.... Heck, dont open it regardless without scanning it.

Hopefully the above will assist you to stay safe and have happy days of online time :-)

Cheers

Chill.

migdale

Chill

Not too sure what you mean by a "nice Router"
    Is the hardware sullied by the ISP (in my case IHUG) not sufficient?

Chilling_Silence

That depends on what they're supplying you with? I would simply _not_ take a windows box online with an internal router or USB Modem (Different from a USB Router) for the simple fact I dont trust the writers of the firewall software. If you had the source code, yes, but I know for a fact that ZoneAlarm itself tries to get out places it need not......

migdale

Chill

As much as I appreciate your response, I am an almost complete novice and totally out of my depth as far as the hardware goes.
    Could you explain in very simple terms what type of router you would use.
    Specifically what is the difference between an internal and an external router apart from their obvious location.
    And is a external USB router satisfactory.
    Thanks.

Murray P

What brand and model of router is the ISP proposing to supply you with? Any advice on what brand to get could be redundant if that one is going to be ok.

An external ethernet router with NAT is the best solution in my opinion, if it's got a built in firewall that's even better.

Internal are ok but, if you want to set up your own home/small office network at some stage (a LAN) and share your internet connection, then it's much simpler to do this with an ethernet or wireless router/modem. Internal PCI and external USB modems* do not generally have the capabilities of the ethernet variety they also work more off software and therefore use more system resources and can be more prone to glitches, however plenty of people have happy relationships with their USB or PCI modems.

* They're normally just modems with no routing and often no NAT capabilities and are, therefore less secure and able to do a variety of things the average ethernet router/modem can (Router/modem: a combined ADSL modem and router, sometimes with more than 1 port to connect multiple computers too that share your internet connection).

By the way, some routers come with a combo connection that allows either ethernet or USB connection.

Murray P

mikebartnz

Nod32 for anti-virus.