Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    amadeus38

Default Sending attachments on Paradise EMail

Paradise gave me an 0800 number some months ago after a problem with not being able to send EMail attachments. This has now been withdrawn and I have the problem again on the normal dialup number. It only seems to occur with XP as a WIN98 machine I have works OK. Paradise told me to check my modem driver and I have updated this to no avail. A friend tells me all is OK if you run a machine without SP1 and or 2. This seems a bit drastic. Any suggestions??? My test attachment is a 180K jpg file. Really small text files go through OK. All is OK if I use Xtra ISP.

Spacemannz

Default Re: Sending attachments on Paradise EMail

I take it, youre clicking on create mail and going to insert file attachment??

What part doesnt work exactly? Your end or the person receiving the attachment??

amadeus38

It just won't send. It just hangs. You get a varying percentage on the progress bar and then a hang - nothing happens. Internet tray icon goes to
    blank (nothing sent - nothing received)

Peter H

What if any, Antivirus are you using. Also firewall.
    Bye

amadeus38

Zone alarm Free V3.1.395 (Mailsafe on but this only covers incoming I think.)
    AVG Free V7.0.289 EMail Scanner Inactive. The problem occurred before I put AVG7 on when I ran AVG6 free. XP firewall is inactive.
    Also I ran a test without AVG or firewall (somewhat stupidly) but problem still
    existed.
    I have run complete virus check (AVG updated). Spybot, Adaware and A2
    for trojans. All Ok.
    Help desk at Paradise told me I was lucky to be able to send attachments at all as Email was not designed for it. I suggested he meant big files like bmps but he said no even little ones. (?????????)

stu120404

> Help desk at Paradise told me I was lucky to be able
    > to send attachments at all as Email was not designed
    > for it. I suggested he meant big files like bmps but
    > he said no even little ones. (?????????)

WOW! :O where do Paradise get there helpdesk staff from!?!

ninja

> Help desk at Paradise told me I was lucky to be able
    > to send attachments at all as Email was not designed
    > for it. I suggested he meant big files like bmps but
    > he said no even little ones. (?????????)

I'm glad to see someone else thinks this way as well. The helpdesk is quite correct - the e-mail protcols are not designed for sending files, it's sort of a tacked on afterthought which is fundamentally broken.

E-mails were designed for plain text message transfer, the addition of html and attachments etc puts a strain on a very basic and somewhat flawed protocol.

Files attached to an e-mail generally increase in size by about 30% when they are MIME encoded - that makes that 1MB file 1.3MB or the 3MB file almost 4MB etc.

Unfortunately people seem to think e-mail is great for shipping 15MB spreadsheets backwards and forwards from work, or sending FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW:FW: FUNNIEST VIDEO EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!11111111 around the globe.

Hopefully with the introduction of IPv6 someone looks logically and introduces a new non-broken e-mail standard to start combating the problems with file transfer, spam, relays etc.

With regard to your problem it seems rather odd, perhaps check Paradise's dial-up numbers and try alternatives - 0800 internet access costs money from memory (caller has to pay) - see if they can provide you with an 0873 number instead of an 0867 (or vice versa).

Steve_L

There is an alternative to sending attachments via Paradise, that I saw on BBC's Click Online...

http://yousendit.com

This allows you to "post" your attachment on the site so that your friend can download it from their. You need to do a free registration with your email address so it is advisable to use a throw away email address (e.g. Hotmail, Yahoo) in case it generates spam.

Also you could send your attachent via Hotmail (or other throw away address) to second Hotmail address. Then send your friend the password to access the inbox.

BTW, I have Paradise email and have no problems with sending emails EXCEPT since a few days ago when I updated to a new version of Avast! antivirus. I have had to uninstall Avast! to use my Pegasus Mail. I will reinstall Avast! when I have time to manually configure the Avast email checker.

Steve_L

>so that your friend can download it from their

Should be: so that your friend can download it from their site.

Steve_L

I see that the URL is:
    http://s15.yousendit.com/

(not sure why it is different than what was given on BBC Click Online.)

And : "Your Email Address (Optional):"

"Select File to Send (Up to 1 GB):"

From the site:

How Does It Work?
    New to YouSendIt? Here's what you do.
    Choose who you want to send a file to. It can be anyone with an email address. You can specify multiple email addresses separated by commas.
    Select a file to send. You can send photos, audio, documents or anything else. Your file will be stored by YouSendIt without ever filling up your recipient's mailbox.
    Click on Send. YouSendIt will automatically email your recipient a link to your file stored on our server. Your file will be deleted after seven days.

No passwords to share, no software to install, no accounts to create, and no full mailboxes. Start sending now!