Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spencer

Default How do I lock a PP presentation to prevent editing?

Using Office 2000

I have to send a PP presentation overseas (by email only) as preliminary advice of course content for a seminar. I want to lock it so that it cannot be edited, partly to prevent removal of copyright notices, and partly to prevent the content being overtly plagiarised in the short term. I have looked through the PP help files and see that "whiteboards" can be locked but I can't find any way to lock or password protect a PowerPoint presentation. Can this be done or is it not possible? Thanks in advance.

Spence

45South

Default Re: How do I lock a PP presentation to prevent editing?

What version are you using? If 2002 or later:

Go Tools > Options >Security.
    Fill in either the Password to Open or the Password to Modify, with a password of your choice, dependant on whether you want to protect the document from viewing or from modification.
    Click Ok

45South

Sorry, I'm tired & had a long weekend.
    I've just noticed the 1st line of your post "Office 2000"
    Don't know if the same applies as I haven't got 2000 installed on anything at the moment

45South

I've seen a 3rd party app somewhere for doing this, I'll try & find it again.
    Or you could convert the pps to an swf (flash)
    It can still be disassembled by someone who knows what they are doing but not easily reassembled again.
    Sorry I should have all this in one post
    Why can't we edit our posts, it's a real pain.
    No-one need answer that last question, I know the reason, still a pain though

godfather

I have just received one thats totally protected, and it was sent as a PDF file. Unable to be stripped or edited without the password.

Still able to be viewed just fine, its a good use of PDF format. It was originally a PPT file, but the other advantage is that the compression of images etc in the PDF makes it smaller than the PPT.

I realise this is not now a PPT file, but if you can supply it in PDF (and you have a PDF writer) then its worth considering.

Spencer

Wouldn't you know it, PP 2000 doesn't have a security tab, and I don't have a PDF whatsit to convert it. I guess I'll just have to trust them this time. Thanks for the fast response though, it will save me looking half the night for something that isn't there.

Spence

45South

Find someone with 2002 or 2003 & send it to them & get them to protect the 'final' version before you send it off
    Know anyone in a local computershop who would do it for you?

Murray P

Are you running a Linux distro with Open Office or Open Office for Win Spencer? Either way you can import/open in Impress and then export as a PDF. Not sure if the Impress security setting would have any effect if it could be opened again by Power Point but you can save as a PPT 97/2000/XP document which might give you the same thing.

Most distros also have a stand-alone PDF creator.

Cheers Murray P

Rob99

File > Save As > then select *.pps

Spencer

Sounds too simple to be true Rob, could you confirm what pps is please? I assume it means Power Point Show and you are suggesting that conversion to that format is a one way trip for the data, that is to say, it can't be converted back to a *.ppt format. If so it is the perfect solution to my problem as I believe it will also hide my speaker's notes, without which even recreating the slideshow in PP won't be any use as the slides don't contain the vital "technical" details. TIA

Spence