Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    heni72847

Default NZ Proxy Servers

i read about proxy servers today
    and thought if i connected to one that's in nz my internet might be faster..right?

while this is all good, i notice that ... i can't find a free nz proxy that i can use my internet through...

is there one out there somewhere for free?
    and is there a program that can help setting the proxy settings up?

robsonde

Default Re: NZ Proxy Servers

who is your ISP??

a number of ISPs run a proxy for there users only.

agent

The problem with New Zealand is that we don't have any independent proxy servers (at least that I know of), and so you are restricted to using an overseas one, or one provided by your ISP (if they provide one at all).

stu120404

> is there one out there somewhere for free?

Have a look here: http://www.publicproxyservers.com/page1.html & look for NZ Proxys

Hope this helps

tweak\'e

>nd thought if i connected to one that's in nz my internet might be faster..right?

not really. its only a big advantage if its a very slow site you want to veiw and you have decent broadband, ie you download it off the proxy's cache quicker than off the orginal site. a local proxy can help exspecially if your isp charges you for international bandwidth/data and the data is comman. however the odds are your isp is already running a transperant proxy to save themselves the cost of international data.

the main thing people use proxy severs for is to hide themselves and their activities.

zqwerty

stu120404

No New Zealand proxy servers at the site you posted unfortunately.

heni72847

um..then there's no point then...

Chilling_Silence

Most public proxies arent totally anonymous though, so there's little point to them. The Site Stu mentioned is good if you're looking for a public proxy that is anonymous, but the question I ask is why? What are you doing that you dont want your IP revealed for??

Or are you after an NZ proxy so that it wont chew through your international bandwidth meter, because, like me, you get free national downloads??

heni72847

i was hoping that accessing national data would be quicker than international

i'm on flatrate.. so bandwidth isn't a problem for me

Graham L

Perhaps what you should look for is mirrors. ISPs will run their own proxy servers ... they want to bring only one copy of any page into the country if possible even if there are hundreds of thousands of requests. Mirrors are straight copies of whole sites.

When you use google, use google.co.nz not google.com . That's because the .co.nz one is a mirror. You get exactly the same results. Without international traffic. I was saddened by the silly people who got all upset when they noticed that their ISPs had started readdressing their google requests to the NZ mirror. Shock Horror. :_|