agent_24

Default Windows update not working - .CPL error?

This is for a friend:

He just restored the windows XP on his HP pavilion using the recovery program, and when trying to access windows update options from the control panel, gets this error:

RUNDLL

An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\Sustem32\wu aucpl.cpl",Automatic Updates"

Not sure what the problem is, never seen it before.
    wuaucpl.cpl exists, but may be corrupt?

other control panel programs work fine.

anyone know anything about this kind of error?

Spacemannz

Default Re: Windows update not working - .CPL error?

Did he try going to the windowsupdate site itself?? What happens when he tries to go there??

Spacemannz

Hmm just found one site it says that version of XP is pirated. Thats what the message means when u go thru windows update in control panel.

agent_24

Perhaps the restore (from recovery partition) caused windows to think it was a pirated version?

crazy - anyway, he said he managed to fix it somehow.

still interesting about the pirated stuff

My son's computer has exactly the same problem. Cannot access windows update from IE6 either, the computer freezes every time.

Without this access we cannot update any aspect of windows. Dont know what to do. We recently did a windows restore from the supplied rescue disk which may have caused this.

Any suggestions please?

Waynne

Have a look at these pages

Problems Accessing Windows Update
    here
    Windows Update: Frequently Asked Questions
    here
    hth
    The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them. - Orson Scott Card (1951- ),

Correct my English!

I've also got a Windows Update problem, but that issue was quickly resolved by contacting Microsoft Support team. Here is what they replied:

I have found some troubleshooting steps which will resolve this issue. After completing each method, go to <http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com> and check if the issue is resolved. Please also inform me of the result.

*Important*
    NOTE: If you are running Ad-aware, ZoneAlarm, PC-Cillin, Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton Personal Firewall, Sygate Personal Firewall, Microsoft Personal Firewall, Proxomitron pop-up blocker, Ad Muncher or a web accelerator, e.g. "Slipstream", I recommend you to temporarily disable or shut down any of these before accessing the Windows Update site. Be sure to enable them again when you complete the update process. If you can access the Windows Update site with these applications disabled, then you may need to add the Windows Update site to the applications exception, or the do not block list. Please see the applications documentation on how to do this.

In case our issue continues, please proceed to the suggestions below.

Suggestion 1:
    =============
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type "services.msc" (Without the Double Quotes) and then click OK.

3. In the list of services, right-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.

4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply

5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button. If the service is already started then press Stop and then click on Start to re-set the service.

6. In the list of services, right-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.

7. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply

8. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button. If the service is already started then press Stop and then click on Start to re-set the service.

9. Click OK.

Suggestion 2:
    ===========
    This issue occurs if some files are not properly registered in the system. I am aware that you have already tried registering some DLL files but I would request you to try these steps once again as they have the highest success rate in resolving this particular issue. I have listed some steps that will assist you with resolving the error message. ( Note - there is a space between regsvr32 and softpub.dll and this applies to all the four files.)

1. Quit all programs that are running.
    2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. Type "regsvr32 wuapi.dll" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.
    4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in wuapi.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

Repeat inputting the following commands and click OK after each command.

Regsvr32 _jscript.dll
    Regsvr32 atl.dll
    Regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    Regsvr32 softpub.dll
    Regsvr32 Mssip32.dll
    Regsvr32 Initpki.dll

Restart your Computer and then go to the Windows Update Website. If the issue persists, please follow the next suggestion.

Suggestion 3: Enable "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections".
    ==============

1. Click Start, click Run, input "INETCPL.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. On the the Advanced Tab, check "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections" and uncheck "Use HTTP 1.1", and then click OK.

I would now request you to access the windows update site and check if the issue is

Suggestion 4: Rename Software Distribution.
    =====================

1. Click Start.

2. Choose Run.

3. In the Run box type "net stop wuauserv" ( Type exactly as written ) and click OK.

4. Then again click on Start --) Run.

5. In the Run box, type %windir% (exactly has written ) and then click OK.

6. This will open the Windows or Winnt folder or your system. Locate the folder named SoftwareDistribution

7. Right click on this folder and then select Rename. Type the new name as OLDSoftwareDistribution

8. Now close this window.

9. Again click on Start --) Run and type net start wuauserv and then press OK.

10. Restart your system.

Unless you have any further questions or concerns regarding this particular Service Request, I will go ahead to closed this case for administrative purpose. If this is premature, please feel free to send e-mail to me or respond by posting a supplement to this case; we can then continue working together. It's my pleasure to be of assistance.

Thank you for your time and attention.