Mike S

Default Recovering from bad settings with Opera

As you will find from a separate topic thread recently I have been trying to tame Opera, having recognised a number of its benefits and advantages vs. IE.

In careful tinkering aimed (unsuccessfully) at getting Opera to dial up automatically I am faced with two legacies: -

1) Opera seems to be my default browser now. Id like to change that default back to IE.
    2) Hyperlinks showing in e-mails no longer do anything at all, even if I have IE active and Im logged into my ISP.

PLEASE - IS THERE AN EASY WAY TO FIX these unwanted settings and return to where I was? My O/S is XP Home.

Maybe I need to uninstall Opera completely??

If this problem had been on my laptop (Win98) Id have tried restoring a previous registry: from my reading of various threads on F1 that option seems to be anything other that straightforward in XP. Though if I look in the help, which accompanied my OS that appears to be written for other than XP; following the proposed course of action gets me nowhere.

Can anyone please help me to return to where I was last week, before I started coveting my neighbours Opera features??

Mike S

Jen C

Default Re: Recovering from bad settings with Opera

>1) Opera seems to be my default browser now. Id like to change that default back to IE.

Open up Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options > Programs. Tick beside "IE should check to see whether it is the default browser". Close down IE and then open it up again, you will be given a prompt to select IE as default, so say OK and tick don't show this message again.

Mike S

I salute you Jen C and thank you sincerely. You fixed both problems at once. Bravo!

I shall sleep peacefully tonight.

Mike S

Winston001

Sorry to hear of your problems Mike. I understand. I almost gave up on Opera when I first loaded it a year ago. I couldn't see where all the enthusiasm came from.

However it sorted itself out fairly quickly and I'm a convert. I still play with settings today, and find new things.

Opera is good. Go back to it when you are feeling more relaxed.

Mike S

Thanks for your note. I can see that Opera has many great features, and I've still to really dig into it. Having to start Outlook Express to get the connection to the ISP first is a small(ish) chore which I think I'd get used to.

The main drive of course was to flee the IE monster which has more holes then a colander.

The problem with the hyperlinks is very irritating though: if somebody e-mails me with a 'suggest you visit this site' I see no alternative but to initiate the dial-up to connect to the web, copy the web address, paste it into Opera and hit ENTER. I compare this with MS world, just clicking on the web address in the e-mail and having everything else happen pretty much automatically.

But you're right. The benefits may well outweigh the disadvantages. Time will tell.

Thanks for your interest.

Mike S

Winston001

Interesting. I'm now fortunate enough to have Jetstream most of the time. But when I use dial-up, I either have to specifically open the connection myself, or alternatively the dial-up window opens so I can connect. Using XP Pro.

I don't recall Opera ever initiating dial-up for me, but I haven't found that a problem. I keep an internet connection icon on my desktop for this purpose. By comparison I think IE does pop the connection window open.