Thread: Overclocking

george12

Default Overclocking

Hi, I would like an understandable description of how to overclock and what cooling would be necessary.

Say, if I wanted to take a Celeron 1.2Ghz up to 1.4Ghz? How would I go about it?

Or, raising a PII 333Mhz which I don't mind subjecting to testing to 500Mhz?

Or a PIII 450Mhz to 550?

Thanks in advance.

Kenshin

Default Re: Overclocking

well theres 2 way of overclocking:

1) Up the FSB
    2) Up the multiplier.

U can't always do the second one because the multiplier on ur CPU may be locked. Uping FSB may cause system unstability, depending on what you change ur front side bus to, and the divider which are available on ur mobo. Also, when u up ur Front Side Bus u r essentially OCing ur ram as well, thus if ur ram is crap ur system will not be stable. U can increase stability by increasing the voltage supplied to the CPU and ram, but that would cause more heating and maybe damage ur hardware if u over do it...

To up the FSB you can go into ur bios and there will probably be a setting for u to increase ur FSB, if ur computer is old u may have to do this on ur motherboard ...and that will involve putting in jumpers or using dip switches...

I think the multiplier on all Intel CPUs are locked ...so u r really stuck with the FSB option, and incase u don't know the clock speed of ur CPU is determined by : multiplier x FSB ...so u can work our what FSB u need to achieve certain clock speed. I would recommend u setting ur FSB to a number like: 66 Mhz, 133Mhz or 200MHz, because ur mobo is most likely to have a correct divider for those FSBs.

In terms of cooling ...on those old CPUs of urs stock should be fine, do keep an eye on ur temp tho ... anything under 55 degrees C under load is fine.

In case u screw up ...and ur comp wont boot .. u will have to clear ur CMOS, that can be done by yanking out the battery on ur motherboard ..or on some mobo u can put in a jumper to discharge the capacitor .....

I am abit tired right now ...so forgive my grammer and the structure of my writing ...

Have fun OCing ... it really is quite cool once u get into it...

45South

do a google on overclocking george there is stacks of info on it
    here is a good one to start with, got everything you will ever need
    http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/

45South

Here's another good one I couldn't find before
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...uides/OCguide/

But remember to follow some basic rules before you start:

Don't overclock unless you accept that you may damage your equipment.

Always take small steps when increasing voltages, bus speeds and multipliers.

Never change BIOS settings if you're unsure of the results or what function they perform

Never assume that you'll get the same speeds as someone else, there can be many reasons why you won't.

Remember just because it boots and runs for a while doesn't mean your system is safe or completely stable.

tminus

My personal server runs a celeron. It was a 1300 Tualatin and instead off running at 100 mhz fsb, I run it at 112 on stock cooling. Not much difference but it runs at 1455mhz..

Good solid chip.. can only adjust fsb though, not the multiplier..

Check your bios for what is available to you

(Had it as a gaming machine for the last 3 years with a Geforce 4 MX440 card.. totally satisfactory gaming as a HTPC at 800 x 600 res.. until this years games arrived..)

Prescott

hi george, it will depend on what type or motherboard you have, if its an older one it will most likely have jumpers that you need to change so you can overclock. if its a newer motherboard it can be overclocked through the BOIS.
    also if you have a good motherboard it will be able to handle the oc and be stable, whereas an older one wouldnt handle it. if your gonna overclock dont do it with stock cooling because temps will rise as you overclock. and theres that little issue of fryin your hardware, but dont let that stop you

Growly

Most motherboards will come with some sort of utility that "u" can use to do some overclocking within windows. Not always helpful because if you go too far you'll have no windows to edit them from - so it's best to learn how to do it from you BIOS.

george12

One machine (Cel 333), it's mobo can't handle any faster. The other, PIII 450, can be changed in BIOS to a certain extent.

My new PC, a cel 1.2Ghz you can change the FSB of the CPU and even keep the ram/pci the same!

But, it only goes up to 133. I *think* it might be on 100 for CPU (the ram is 133), but I don't know.

Might just leave it.

Bye