Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    theother1

Default installing a 2nd HDD

If I were to install a second hard drive in the antique PC how do I get a power supply to both (are there available, cables which go from the power supply to 2 seperate harddrives?) and get the two HDD connected to the motherboard (same deal as parenthesis above?)?
    Rob

Rob99

Default Re: installing a 2nd HDD

If there is no cable avaliable to plug it into, you can buy a splitter

theother1

OK. What about a compartment to put the HD in ( I have seen people write about Rails or something to hold the HD) or can it just sit in the space above the other HD, there looks like there is plenty of space and slots in the chassis to secure the thing.
    Also is the a compatibilty issue, the existing HD is a samsung 6.8G the prospective new one is a SH IBM 40gig

Spacemannz

Nope different models of hdds in a system doesnt matter. Just as long as u put one in as master the other a slave.

And each hdd is set to AUTO in the BIOS. So, the system knows both are there. Most cases have 3-4 separate compartments/slots for hdds etc.

And just as long as the hdds can be screwed in, so they dont move around / fall out they'll be fine.

theother1

"Just as long as u put one in as master the other a slave. "
    Yup, I was with you up to here. is that part of the installation or the setup? IE Mechanical or digital?

Spacemannz

Most hard drives have a setting/jumpers on the back. different hard drives usually have SL MA or CS (dont use CS - Cable select), etched on the back , near the ide connection / power supply on the back of the hdd.. (Or on the top of the hard drive with something like SL MA or CS on the label on top.

You usually do this before u install a hdd into a computer case. If you look at the hdd that was in the case at the back, you'll see a jumper. it maybe black/blue/yellow. And note where it is. It is most probably on MA (master).

Just as long as the hdd with something on it / windows / whatever is set as master (on the back via a jumper), and a blank/empty hdd is set as slave it'll be OK. Just make sure you dont set both to master or slave.

You may have probs!

theother1

Thanks for your advice,
    the 6.8G I have is partitioned in two. Is it possible to remove the partition without losing the data on it, or would I need to download it to another drive before formatting the old drive. Yeah I think I know the answer to that on reading it back.

Spacemannz

Umm you could use Partition magic without losing data. If u have it. Other than that u could get the other hdd and install windows on it and set everything up.

Then transfer the data off the 6.8gb to the other hdd. Then format the 6.8gb in Windows.

theother1

I don't have Partition Magic so it sounds like the other alternative for me.

Spacemannz

Yup OK. just install windows on the 40gb put the 6.8 as slave set both in BIOS to AUTO. The let it rip .. Just make a folder (any name) on the 40gb and copy the contents / what u want off the 6.8 to that folder. Format the 6.8 thats it!

If any of the files off the 6.8 are actual program files (they were installed on the hdd), then it'll be better reinstalling them on the bigger hdd again. Because copying programs that have already been installed on one hdd, to another hard drive, doesnt mean they'll work..... If theyre just words docs etc/photos that'll be OK.....