Thread: OT: Nooooooo

simonc

Default OT: Nooooooo

I think my TV has died....

When I switch on the power all I get is a "phizzzz" like sound...

Does anyone know if this is terminal or could it be fixed???

It is a 4 year old Loewe, hopefully not the tube, but I am not sure...

Any ideas?

TIA

Si

Odin

Default Re: OT: Nooooooo

I used to hit mine in just the right spot and it would flare back into life. Got nearly two more years out of it. But for some reason I was the only one that was able to hit the right spot, no one else in the family could. Must be my magic touch. the problem on that tv was the power converter, so you might have a similar problem. Would you like me to come round and hit it

alphazulusixeightniner

Take it into your local electronics store, pay the $25~ minimum service fee and see if it is economical to fix or just buy a new one. Maybe it's still under warranty?

bRaZZiN

I had a problem similar once... and it turned out to be the wire coil on the back of the tube. I managed to fix it by taking the back of the TV off and insulating the wire again with some nail polish (Don't try that at home, kids ) Actually come to think of it, there was actually smoke coming out of it... SOON FIXED THAT!

Scouse

>I used to hit mine in just the right spot and it would flare back into life

Used to be known as a "Birmingham Spanner" and worked on most electrical items that had valves and suchlike pressed in to position.

Terry Porritt

Or rather, the Brummagem Screwdriver , pronounced "ommer", a tool with a head one end, a handle the other, used by most people for driving in nails, but the ever resourceful Brum folk use it to drive in woodscrews

I should know being a Brummie!

Billy T

Thumping it won't fix it Simon, but at 4 years old it should still be an economic proposition to repair. It is unlikely to be the tube, they usually just slowly fade away or drop one colour.

The problem with fizzing noises is that they usually indicate arcing so don't keep turning it on in hope as you may make it worse! You could try removing the back and looking for evidence of the fizz source, or even switch it on again and see if you can observe the source but that won't advance you very far unless you have the knowledge & skills to repair it.

Take it to your local TV repair shop and get a quote.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

fairway

If it is the same model as was for sale real cheep a year or so ago .. Toss It , We live in a disposable society .. I.E. 3 years of good running is max. for electronic's ... welcome to the real world

fairway

Correction ..

My Philips K9 I inherited is still running well (ish)

(but it is old)

simonc

Got a tech guy around and it turned out to be the transformer.

Had somehow got a small hole and was arcing onto the frame or some such thing...

Thanks to all who responded with all manner of answers.

I guess one thing is clear, always call a professional gut to look at electronics (no flame intended!!)

Thanks all