Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dibbly

Default ICS ok but no network sharing??

i'm at my wits end guys so i hope someone can help me out here.

ive n/w 2 putas. A laptop (Roger)XP Home and hosting the internet connection with ICS and a PC (Wilco) running XP pro (simple file sharing enabled) as is file and printer sharing etc on the Lan connection.

In My Network Places on the desktop, it shows 'Wilco' and shared folders but no 'Roger'
    on the laptop (Roger) - there is nothing at all.

I can ping both machines ok as long as i use their respective IP addys, if I use their computer names i get an error message "Ping request could not find host check the name and try again" this happens on both machines.

The strange thing is that 'Wilco' connects to the internet just fine using ICS???

Any suggestions people??

george12

Default Re: ICS ok but no network sharing??

Check that file sharing, port 139 is enabled in the firewall of all machines.

This port is used for file sharing and AFAIK netbios name resolution.

Cheers George

dibbly

tried your suggestion but to no avail thanks anyway

Murray P

Have you enabled any folders or files to share on Wilco? have you checked XP's firewall(s) as well as any additional ones you have installed. Check manual setting in Neworking > Netwrkork Adapter > Properties and Client for Microsoft Networks, sometimes wizard based functions don't always work as expected, ICS can also be problematical, although I doubt that could affect your LAN.

Just out of interest, I take it you are using an internal PCI ADSL modem to connect to the WAN?

Cheers Murray P

dibbly

Just out of interest, I take it you are using an internal PCI ADSL modem to connect to the WAN?

errr, no Murray, connecting via crossover to external cable modem, never mentioned it cos ICS is working ok - ive disabled all firewalls (while not on the net) to discount those being a factor

Murray P

Ok, If you have an ADSL router rather than just a modem and if it has multiple ports or you have a hub/switch, ditch ICS, it just adds another unecessary layer to your interent connection. Still can't see why your file sharing should not be working though, you can ping so you have contact, must be in permissions or group or sharing setup. Talking of work-groups you don't have a domain set up do you?

Cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silence

It will be to do with permissions:
    TCP/IP doesnt require authentication, so it "just works".

File-sharing on the other hand requires authentication.

Setup an identical username / password on both PC's (You _must_ set a password).

Login to one of the PC's as one of the new users made and see if it works

Chill.

dibbly

no Murray, no domain and both belong to same workgroup -
    can I try doing something with the Hosts file??? Not too up with the play on it just a suggestion

dibbly

yes i did try that Chill after doing a search here....but i made the user name the same as the one on the laptop - thats the one that doesnt see anything at all. i will try using the same name as the one on the desktop as at least that one sees itself
    thanks chill

Chilling_Silence

Make sure both accounts are in the "permissions" list for the shares and in the File-system (if NTFS) also.