Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mark c

Default Suggestion for Murray P"s FAQ on getting help.

Well done, great FAQ but I wouldl ike to see added Please post back and inform us what happened.! Keep in touch, even if it's just to say you've given up and taken it to the shop..

I find it frustrating to offer some help and not have a clue what happened.

Just my 2cW

andrew93

Default Re: Suggestion for Murray P"s FAQ on getting help.

I agree, per this online forum they have the following to say about feedback :

[quote] Please be responsible for the questions you post. If you don't reply to answered questions, be it just a simple "yes, that worked," or even the highly-regarded "thanks," the time someone took to help you goes unrewarded. [unquote]

Murray P

From the FAQ, near the end, paragraph just above "Please read the forum rules":

"If the offered fix or fixes solve your problem, a quick post to that effect in the thread you started would be nice, and it will be helpful to others who may follow that thread during a search. If the suggested fix(es) donít work, post back with what you tried including what may have helped in some respects, and what did not work at all. More advice may be required, so be prepared to provide any new information you have discovered. "

It was scrubbed from the Sticky version in an effort to reduce reading as per the wishes of many forum members. Maybe I was a bit hasty with that particular edit as finding out what works, what doesn't in some situations adds to the knowledge of all and being able to point others to fixes can save alot of time for all.

A bit of bold in the FAQ so that it stands out better without adding bulk would be ok, yes? and a quick line or two in the Sticky, say: " Let us know how you got on, was the issue resolved, how?" or something along those lines.

Cheers Murray P

Suggestions: >

Fire-and-Ice

I think that was actualy suggested when the draft was being scrutinised. ;-)

andrew93

Default Re: Suggestion for Murray P"s FAQ on getting help

:^O and I was one of the vocal critics about the original length! My apologies Murray for adopting contrary positions.

The original point of this thread was that it can be frustrating not knowing how the helpee got on with their problem and that I definitely agree with. Even in situations where I am just watching another thread, sometimes I would still like to know the outcome so that I could the proposed solution elsewhere.

My 2c

mark c

Yes Murray P, something like that, I think the feedback is an essential part of it, it's how the person offering the help learns too. And the thanks goes a long way amongst humans.

andrew93

......so that I could [note to self : insert verb here, e.g. apply, use, adopt etc.] the proposed solution elsewhere......

nzStan

Suggestion -

Rather than bumping all the FAQs every week and occupying all the current threads, why not create a page that list all the FAQs and sticky that instead?

Murray P

> Suggestion -
    >
    > Rather than bumping all the FAQs every week and
    > occupying all the current threads, why not create a
    > page that list all the FAQs and sticky that instead?

Blimmin genious, it could be put on the top right of all open pages where it will be easily accessable, say, next to the help button. ah um! Sorry Stan couldn't help myself, placing another link to the FAQ's at the top of the threads list will help their visiblity. There is a link in the current Sticky but you have to open that of course to access it, so, if you take a marketing/advertising approach to get it across/deliver it to people then visibility is key.

Cheers Murray P

nzStan

Heh, yeah well my thought is the title would be eye catching....

"Answers to most Frequently Asked Questions - check here before posting your question to avoid getting flamed by <insert name(s)>".

Then in the thread a Hyperlinked List of all the FAQs we have.

Then sticky and lock it.