Darcy

Default MS Sidewinder Force feedback Steering Wheel [Gameport Type]

Hi All,

I have just gotten hold of the above steering wheel and am trying to set it up to my PC, I'm running WinXP Pro and have no CD's or Software with the steering wheel.

My feeble attempts to download anything useful from the Internet have failed.

I have a soundblaster 5.1 sound card with a gameport connector and an integrated gameport connector on my motherboard, changing which one I've connected to and restarting has not helped! Anything "Auto-detection wise!"

Also going through "add hardware" does not come up with this hardware as a default option so would appreciate any idea's!?

Thanks in advance
    Darcy

antmannz

Default Re: MS Sidewinder Force feedback Steering Wheel [Gameport Type]

You will need to download the Sidewinder software from the Microsoft site.

Also, if you have a Via motherboard, you may need to apply the Via patch.

Darcy

Cheers Dude,

Have already visited that page, but didn't find /see anything relating to the Sidewinder Force Feedback [Gameport] Steering Wheel?!!

Can you please enlighten me!?

Thanks.

metla

That wheel is not officailly suported by XP,there are no drivers to download.

To make it work Plug it in,Go to control panel>Game controllers>Add>Microsoft Sidewinder (auto-Detect).Make sure you calibrate it.

If it doesn't work after that then the wheel is faulty.

Also,the force feedback effects will be poor on the onboard port,use the soundblaster instead.

Darcy

Thanks for that, yes, noticed on a lot of msg boards people saying that Microsoft isn't supporting it's own products at the Windows XP level, pretty shady I say! Cummon Microsoft, no-wonder everybody is switching to Logitech!

Anyhoo, when i follow you directions i come up with the display Microsoft Sidewinder (auto-Detect) - Not connected, which makes me think, yes the whell is faulty [which i doubt as borrowed off a working machine, think was 98 though!] or my Gameport is not configured / functioning properly!!?

Any other idea's......?
    Cheers

metla

Have a look in device manager and see if gameport is listed,with the soundblaster installed you may even have 2.

Might be interested to know MS stoped production off all gaming devices about 2 years ago,They have no joysticks,wheels or gamepads on the market anymore.

It was all part of the plan to seperate gaming from the PC and push consumers towards the xbox.

A billion dollars lost later PC gamers still prefer the PC.

As to the wheel,it should work doing as i have suggested,i have the exact same device and have used it on my pc....which has gone through dozens of configurations.Im probally on my 8th mobo since aquiring the wheel.

Darcy

Cheers, you give me FAITH!

Interesting bout MS, thanks for the tit-bit...will keep trying and post you back, if it looks like i'm going to have to commit myself to a mental facility....

Thanks...