nomad

Default OT: Importing camera film - a risk of xrays?

Hi, given NZ is so expensive for some of their higher level film. I am thinking of importing some 20 or 40 rolls to try out. Are film risk of xrays? I intend to get mainly ISO 64 - 160. A few 400 or 800. Photo film and slide film.

Some have said checkin is fine but cargo is bad for film. What happens if I send them here by postal? Any country must import their film one way or the other right? I doubt countries would get xray immunity because its film.

Anyone who import film for their own usages?

heaton

Default Re: OT: Importing camera film - a risk of xrays?

Suggest you ring Kodak , Agfa or Fuji and say a friend is going to send you some film.
    Then ask them how their bulk stuff comes into the country to avoid security scanning. They might have special lead lined containers for their imports. Where are you getting it from and how are they going to pack it? Lots of unknowns.

rayonline

I wanna get from New York, B&H. I got some lenses from them, v reputed. I have contacted them but they were v careful what they said that ISO 400 or more is liable to xrays. I asked is it possible slow film can be affected, they say it is a possibility.

I have read Kodak infos on the web, they list them as all speeds are liable to xrays. Pro's says carryon baggage is fine but checkin would get nuked. NZ is just so expensive, a roll of Fuji Provia is $25nz while its $4US. B/H has said they use UPS will gaurantee in the US xrays free but once its inernational its not up to them.

R2x1

Well, given that the preferred method for less than ethical dealers to quit over-age, unknown storage history, or other dubious film is to sell distant from their own patch, your chances of getting good value as opposed to good price become a lottery. About the only thing you can be sure of is the value of your financial input - the other party can be a bit untrue to your interests.
    Film (of the better brands) for use in NZ is somewhat different to that sold in other markets, due to the preponderance of blue/green light in NZ.
    Xrays are one of your worries, vibration and shock are another. Temperature and time are relevant, so if you think your photo's are not too critical for quality, cheaper could be better value. You could use a processor who does not use filtered water, avoids consistency or other quality checks, and otherwise shaves cost. It depends on your perception of value - low quality and low cost are not always the same, but high quality and lowest cost arte never the same.
    Fortunately, no one will twist your arm - the decision is yours alone, the results are too. so, try some and see with an open mind.
    Like a lot of complex things, photography depends on a long chain of things happening properly, if there's one weak link in the chain, strengthening another link won't help. A better lens won't make camera shake go, a magnificent camera with a great photographer can't fix film that has been overheated in storage. But, if you have a poor grade camera, can't hold the camera still, and leave the set-up on the carseat for days at a time, cheaper film will be better for you.
    Cheers

Growly

Last X-Ray i saw through customs had a "DOES NOT HARM CAMERA FILM" Sticker on the front...

drb1

I worked for Agfa. I am an Importer. If you bring this in legally A/F OR S/F and Declare the CIF correctly you will have no problems, X ray is not an issue in commercial film freight. If any of your relatives/associates. Come from/Live in a drug producing area, or have d/rel convictions, or have been noted in a drug investigation they may open 1 or 2 cannisters . Thats thier job. Once you get an importer code as long as you keep it clean you will find them easy to deal with.

Dont undervalue. they will take the lot, then lock you up.

Might be best to get a customs agent to do your first entry, and help you get Your code. you will then have a good copy of the docs for the future.

If the docs are not filled in correctly your release will definatly be delayed.

nomad

Sheez.. someone's a bit uptight. There's no way I'm buying a roll for $25nz when its $4usd in many many countries. All the research I found I was only able to locate one dip/dunk film processor. FYI: I have film and digital SLR and a Gitzo 1228 tripod, a Acra swiss ballhead and Really Right Stuff Quick Release plates and the remote/cable releases. They were all bought abroad, if not I would had paid 2x or 3x. Some shops in NZ are not able to locate all the filters you need and one actually told me they import from B&H in NYC which is the store many other NZders and myself use for their personal needs. I intend to freeze my film and use them overtime and each time I do travel I'll stock up more. You only need to head to the airport shops when you depart back to NZ, while its not the best prices its way better than here.

drb1

There's no way I'm
    > buying a roll for $25nz when its $4usd in many many
    > countries.
    Ect
    All the research I found I was only able
    > to locate one dip/dunk film processor. FYI: I have
    Ect
    > back to NZ, while its not the best prices its way
    > better than here.

Import indicates commercial, different rules, if your semi pro you know that even in perfect conditions Preimum unex/neg has a short (premium period) shelf life.

If you get/have a good source there is no reason why you cant continously parralle your self. so all ways have fresh neg.

Personal baggage see growly.